who won?

Irell

The Netherlands-Dutch
Hola,

First I thought: well whatever but I really want to know how the construction is:

Participó valerosamente de la batalla de Lepanto comandada por don Juan de Austria en la que se aplastó a la flota turca.

en la (batalla) que se aplastó a la flota turca... :confused: could someone please help me out?

and how about this: I read in the newspaper an item about this story. It said that he lost his hand but in my book it says: ... perdió para siempre la movilidad de su mano izquerda... well, to me it means that he still had the hand but couldn't USE the hand, or am I wrong?

Thanks a lot,
Irelle

• Maeron

Canada, English
    "Se aplastó" is equivalent to the passive in English; i.e. in your sentence: "was crushed." So your whole phrase is equivalent to "[the battle] in which the Turkish fleet was crushed."

Other examples of the impersonal "se" equalling the passive in English:
    Se habla inglés = English spoken.
    Se dice que... = It is said that...

Regarding "perdió para siempre la movilidad de su mano izquerda," yes, it seems you are right; the sentence says that he permanently lost the use (mobility) of his left hand.

Irell

The Netherlands-Dutch
    Now I wonder how the sentence would have been if the Turkish fleet had won? Still 'se aplastó' por la flota? Or is an other verb needed? Or just a totaly different sentence?

Participó valerosamente de la batalla de Lepanto comandada por don Juan de Austria en la que se aplastó a la flota turca.

Thanks,
    Irelle

Artrella

Banned
    BA
    Spanish-Argentina
    Irell said:
    Now I wonder how the sentence would have been if the Turkish fleet had won? Still 'se aplastó' por la flota? Or is an other verb needed? Or just a totaly different sentence?

Thanks,
    Irelle

Hi Irelle!! :) Do you want to translate the sentence above but saying that the Turkish won the battle?? Sorry... slow and sleepyyyy!!!! ;)

BTW :arrow: I think that your question has to be rephrased like this>> Now I wonder how would the sentence have been if the ....?

Bye, Art :p

Is this what you need? Participó en la batalla de Lepanto comandada por Juan de Austria en la cual su flota fue aplastada por los turcos. :arrow: "turcos" con minúscula>>> Gracias David!!! :thumbsup:

Heeeelp!

Artrella

Banned
    BA
    Spanish-Argentina
    David said:
    en francés, par les Turques, pero en español, por los turcos, ¿que no, Artrella.?

Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii David!!!!! Lo que pasa es que como éste es un foro español/inglés..... un poco de cada cosa... así no se ofende nadie.... ;)

Ayyy!!! :D Graciaaasss!!!! :p :p :p