When you are watching those movies, do you ever wish that you were her?

• S.V.

Español, México
    Yours sounds more common with estás viendo around here.

Are you interested in desearías que fueras → deseas que fueras? Besides Deseas ser esa persona...

Cuando ves esas películas, ¿alguna vez sientes como que quieres ser ella? sounds colloquial enough to me, and I wonder if it works elsewhere.

Last edited:

Are you interested in desearías que fueras → deseas que fueras? Besides Deseas ser esa persona...

Cuando ves esas películas, ¿alguna vez sientes como que quieres ser ella? sounds colloquial enough to me, and I wonder if it works elsewhere.
    Wow! I never heard of "como que" before. I will research that. Could "como si" have worked here? Like "como si quisiera?"

So "desearías que fueras" and "deseas que fueras" and "deseas ser" are all acceptable? (Muchas gracias.)

xius

Spanish
    So "desearías que fueras" and "deseas que fueras" and "deseas ser" are all acceptable? (Muchas gracias.)

These sound a little strange to me. I don't know it they are incorrect per se, but it sounds way better "desearías ser" and "deseas ser"

Rocko!

Español - México
    A mí se me complica ese “ever wish”, pero si lo incluyo, mi manera personal de decirlo sería: Cuando estás viendo esas películas, ¿no sientes a veces como que te gustaría ser ella?

S.V.

Español, México
    Could "como si" have worked here? Like "como si quisiera?"
    45.10f RAE::NUEVA GRAMÁTICA also mentions they 'often' alternate. Como que + presente sounds a bit more colloquial to me.

I tried como que in the buscador, then right click on the small camera icon > new tab.

"deseas que fueras"
    I agree they sound a bit odd. I think the root cause is, in general, this is not the usual translation:

"I wish you were nicer" → deseo que fueras más amable
    "I wish I were her" → deseo ser ella

Instead, we could expect other expressions like ¡Cómo quiero ser ella!, Si tan solo pudiera hacerlo, Ya quisiera yo tener eso, Lo que daría por ser ella, ¡Qué no daría por tenerlo! (sometimes ¡Qué no diera...!). I do not know whether Deseas que fueras might be considered a "calco."

gvergara

Castellano (variedad chilensis)
    Hi,

I would not use desear como que. I go with desearías ser ella. As regards desearías que fueras, to me it doesn't sound good as the subjects are the same in both sentences (tú) desearías que (tú) fueras= (tú) desearías/te gustaría ser.