when to use genitive article

dukaine

English - American
I'm noticing in my reading that when the genitive is used, sometimes the article is used and sometimes not. From what I can tell, it seems to have to do with the genders. If the gender is the same, the article is omitted; if not, it's included. Is this correct? If not, is there a "rule" for this?

(Source: Rogmes, Αντιμετωπίστε Έγκαιρα Το Αλτσχάιμερ Πίνοντας Τσάι Του Βουνού, section Τι είναι η νόσος του Αλτσχάιμερ;)

Η νόσος του Αλτσχάιμερ (AD) είναι μια ασθένεια που αναγκάζει την λειτουργία του εγκεφάλου - included, different gender

με την πάροδο του χρόνου - included, different gender

επηρεάζοντας τη μνήμη, τις διαδικασίες σκέψης - not included, same gender

δεν αποτελεί μέρος της φυσιολογικής διαδικασίας γήρανσης - not included, same gender

• Perseas

In some collocations consisting of two noun phrases, in which the second one is abstract and in genitive, the article may be absent from the second noun phrase (or according to the modern research it's the case of the zero article). E.g. λόγος ύπαρξης (raison d'être), άδεια οδήγησης (driving licence).
    (I found this information in "Greek, a Comprehensive Grammar".)
    If we consider that most abstract nouns are female, then it's more frequent to see female nouns without an article.

But there are cases where you'd use the article. E.g. in δεν αποτελεί μέρος της φυσιολογικής διαδικασίας γήρανσης, "της γήρανσης" would sound okay.