there is/are no end of activities

applepi

spanish
Hello, everyone

I have come across the following sentence and I would like to know if it is grammatically correct:
"There IS no end of activities to participate in and endless places to explore"

Should it be "There ARE no end of activities" because "activities" is plural or is it "there IS" because "end" is singular?

Thank you!

• gvergara

Castellano (variedad chilensis)
    End is singular. There is no end.
    Hi,

Yes, but as I see it no end of functions as a determiner, in the same way as a lot of. As a determiner, it is the number of the the head of the noun clause that determines the number of the verb (There is a lot of water available, but you don't say There is a lot of activities you can participate in, despite the fact that the determiner has a singular-like form). As a non-native speaker, I failed to see it in this way when I first read the sentence, so I would have chosen is; however, after giving it some thought, I wonder if There are no end of activities is actually wrong.

horsewishr

English (Generic Midwest Variety)
    I see your logic, but "There are no end of activities" sounds completely incorrect to me (y creo que estoy en lo correcto). ¿Es de ayuda pensarlo como "hay un sínfin de actividades"? Sínfin va en singular.

MathCoach

English
    I'd go with "is" because it fits the grammar ("end" is the noun to agree with). However, an argument could be made for notional agreement, which is "there are a lot of activities" (meaning "many" activities). I'd probably rewrite the sentence like this: "There is no end to the long list of activities to participate in and places to explore."

So what is the difference between "end" and "a lot of"?
    "End" is a noun like the end of a book. "A lot of" is a common substitution for both "much" and "many" and so is functioning as an adjective, even though there is an article (a) in front of it.

"Lot" is a noun (originally referring to one or a group of things up for auction). "A" is its determiner. "of" is a preposition. However, when put altogether, "a lot of" is a phrase that functions as an adjective.