Swedish: Till och med

Velemyš

Czech - Czech Republic
Hi!

I am lost in the following sentence:

"Anmälningarna om bevakning finns tillgängliga för granskning från sista dagen för bevakning till och med och sista dag för Anmärkning."

What confuses me is the "till och med och sista dag". Does it mean that the anmälningarna are available from the last registration day inclusive till the last day of the time for anmärkning?

Thanks!

• MattiasNYC

Swedish
    It would be nice if you included the source so we could get more context.

"från sista dagen för bevakning" means "from the last day of surveillance" (note that without context I'm translating "bevakning" to "surveillance").

"till och med och sista dag".. the second "och" looks like a typing error. Normally I would expect to see "till och med", which would be translated to "through" (because it's essentially "to and including")...

"för Anmärkning." not sure what "Anmärkning" refers to here so I'm not sure how to translate it. It could mean "note", but I'm guessing in some formal contexts a different English word might be more appropriate. Perhaps something like "comments" or "critique", depending on context.

So from the last day of surveillance through the last day for notes/comments/critique...

MattiasNYC

Swedish
    Just read your other thread, and if it's the same topic then "surveillance" is probably not the best translation. Also not sure about "Anmärkning" either, and I need more coffee to compute it.

Velemyš

Czech - Czech Republic
    It would be nice if you included the source so we could get more context.

"från sista dagen för bevakning" means "from the last day of surveillance" (note that without context I'm translating "bevakning" to "surveillance").

"till och med och sista dag".. the second "och" looks like a typing error. Normally I would expect to see "till och med", which would be translated to "through" (because it's essentially "to and including")...

"för Anmärkning." not sure what "Anmärkning" refers to here so I'm not sure how to translate it. It could mean "note", but I'm guessing in some formal contexts a different English word might be more appropriate. Perhaps something like "comments" or "critique", depending on context.

So from the last day of surveillance through the last day for notes/comments/critique...

Sorry, should have added more context. It's a court notification about bankruptcy proceedings, in particular about this "bevakningsförfarande". I found an English summary at the end of the document. They call it "Claims proceedings" or "lodging proof of claim", that could be "anmäla fördran för bevakning", no?

By anmärkning they mean objections to the claim. So if the "och" wasn't there, it would mean "from the last day of claim till the last day of the time for objections", right? Because the English summary says that "Objections to claims that have been lodged shall be submitted in writing, in two copies, to the District Court by 2020-01-29 at the latest. Until that time, all documents pertinent to the claim shall be available for inspection from the Official Receiver in the bankruptcy."

Too confused and tired now, will look into it later. Anyway, thanks a million for your help!

MattiasNYC

Swedish
    Well avoiding everything else "till och med" in American English could easily be translated to "through".

There seems to be some different interpretations when using the word "to", and perhaps "till" is the same (not sure). The difference is when something ends. So since you used a date, the 29th, I'll just illustrate the difference (hypothetical example):

"The 12th to the 29th"; some would argue that something stops on the 29th. So if it is a movie playing in a theater from "the 12th to the 29th" then it's not clear to everyone if it is also playing on the 29th.

"The 12th through the 29th" means it plays throughout the day of the 29th as well. No ambiguity really. And it's in this category I would place "till och med". "Filmen spelas från den 12e till och med den 29e", i.e. it's also playing on the 29th.