Swedish: rottrådarna

GaiaGi89

Italian
Hello, folks! :D
For days, I've been trying to understand the meaning of the following sentence, the second part specifically: "Inget verkar ha tagits bort, utan bara byggts på, så att man känner rottrådarna tillbaka till stålets, kolets och teglets ursprung".
I guess that rottrådarna should mean something like "root threads", but I really can't get how it could fit to this context... Could you help me, please?
Thank you so much!

• Segorian

Icelandic & Swedish
    I guess that rottrådarna should mean something like "root threads", but I really can't get how it could fit to this context...
    In the literal sense of small roots on a plant I believe they are called ‘rootlets’. Here, the word is a metaphor for the connection we feel with the past. The author appears to be describing a manmade structure from an earlier age to which newer elements have been added, organically so to speak, while retaining all of the old building blocks. We are invited to imagine that what now stands resembles a tree that has grown into its current shape over a long time, constantly adding new branches, but also still retaining its old roots, the finest ones of which connect it with its “origins in the steel, the coal, and the brick”.

GaiaGi89

Italian
    Thank you!
    I was picturing something more organic, as fibres and cells, but I can see now how much I was out of the way...
    Still, thanks a lot! :)