Swedish: reda i oredan

rocknrollelena

Italy, Italian
Hello everyone,

I speak Swedish and I'm familiar with the expression, but now for the first time I have to translate it in a text and I'm having problems. Could you help me?
The sentence is:

"Reda i oredan blev det inte förrän 1960..."

My try:

"It wasn't until 1960 that the mess was solved"... or does anyone have a better translation and explanation of the meaning?

Thanks!

• MattiasNYC

Swedish
    Well, sure. I think apart from meaning it's clearly also something that sounds "good" in Swedish due to the construction of the two antonyms: "Reda" and "Oreda". So using a similar construction I think you could possibly use the words "Order" and "Disorder".

Since we don't have a complete context it's hard to say, but I'd maybe try to construct something similar, like: "Order in the disorder wasn't seen until 1960..."... maybe... or something along those lines. I suppose one would have to be looking at English or Italian or whatever language you're translating into to see if there's a similar way to structure it.

rocknrollelena

Italy, Italian
    Thanks Mattias! I hadn't thought about the construction with similar words. Your suggestion with "order" and "disorder" works very well I think.