Swedish: Offret

Insider

Ukraine (Ukrainian)
Hello, there!

Can anybody help me how to translate from Swedish to English word "offret". But I need just all the meanings of this word, it doesn't depend on the context.

By the way, Offret is the name of the film which was directed by well-known Soviet Union director Andrey Tarkovskiy.

Thank you in advance!

Insider

• Insider

Ukraine (Ukrainian)
    übermönch said:
    According to imdb it's English name is "sacrifice", "жертва". This may be the exact translation - the German word for it is Opfer, the Dutch is Offer.
    Strange I haven't the movie yet :)

Thanks, übermönch

It's quite strange, because in Russian movie is translated in a bit diffirent way, although "sacrifice" takes a place there. Maybe, in Russian it was translated more literally. Well, I couldn't find any English equivalent for the Russian word "жертвоприношения" - that's how "offret" was translated in Russian - perhaps, you can try to to help to find the exact word in English?

Jansen

Norway
    Übermönch is correct. In this case “Offret” in Swedish translates to "The sacrifice", meaning one specific sacrifice. But it can also be used in the meaning of “victim”.

Insider

Ukraine (Ukrainian)
    Jansen said:
    Übermönch is correct. In this case “Offret” in Swedish translates to "The sacrifice", meaning one specific sacrifice. But it can also be used in the meaning of “victim”.

OK. I got it. :) I thought there is possible to find one (or two) more meaning.