se / lo

yuriandre

Senior Member
Filipino/Tagalog and Kapampangan
i am a beginner in studying spanish. I do not understand the word " se" and "lo" how do you use them in a sentence? do they assume a different spelling in different tenses ? thanks
 
  • gotitadeleche

    Senior Member
    U.S.A. English
    yuriandre said:
    i am a beginner in studying spanish. I do not understand the word " se" and "lo" how do you use them in a sentence? do they assume a different spelling in different tenses ? thanks

    Se is a word with several meanings, depending on how it is used.
    Lo means "it" (masculine) or "him." Neither of these words are verbs, therefore they don't have tenses. But if you change genders ("it" feminine or "her") then lo becomes la. Se does not change with gender.
     

    julius_dgreat

    New Member
    PHILIPPINES ; ENGLISH
    that is very informative, gotit..but I was wondering how you will use that in a sentence just like what yuriandre asked...can u provide ejemplos diverticos about lo and se? Thanks. :)
     

    gotitadeleche

    Senior Member
    U.S.A. English
    julius_dgreat said:
    that is very informative, gotit..but I was wondering how you will use that in a sentence just like what yuriandre asked...can u provide ejemplos diverticos about lo and se? Thanks. :)

    I just thought of another meaning of LO. It is used when you are speaking in a general or conceptual sense. Ex: "Tiene que haber sido muy difícil perder su esposa". "Sí, lo fue". Here LO refers to the concept previously mentioned of losing one's wife. "Qué triste lo de la muerte de su esposa." Here LO can be translated as "the business about." How sad, the business about his wife's death."

    ¿Has terminado tu trabajo? No, lo haré mañana. Here LO means it, referring to trabajo, which is a masculine noun.

    Mucho gusto en conocerlo. Here LO is attached to the end of the verb. It means you (masculine formal).

    ¿Has visto a Juan? Sí, lo vi ayer. Here LO means him.

    Does that help you, julius?

    NOTE: I am not a native Spanish speaker, so all native speakers of Spanish, please free to correct me or add to my explanation.
     

    Rayines

    Senior Member
    Castellano/Argentina
    Let me see: Just to add to what gotit...says: in his example:"¿Has terminado tu trabajo? No, lo haré mañana. Here LO means it, referring to trabajo, which is a masculine noun."
    If the sentence were: "Has terminado el trabajo para tu jefe?", the answer could be: No, se lo haré mañana. In this case, "se" = a él (a mi jefe), "lo"= el trabajo
     

    yuriandre

    Senior Member
    Filipino/Tagalog and Kapampangan
    Yes, gotitadaleche. :) thank u so much. You have helped me a lot!

    gotitadeleche said:
    I just thought of another meaning of LO. It is used when you are speaking in a general or conceptual sense. Ex: "Tiene que haber sido muy difícil perder su esposa". "Sí, lo fue". Here LO refers to the concept previously mentioned of losing one's wife. "Qué triste lo de la muerte de su esposa." Here LO can be translated as "the business about." How sad, the business about his wife's death."

    ¿Has terminado tu trabajo? No, lo haré mañana. Here LO means it, referring to trabajo, which is a masculine noun.

    Mucho gusto en conocerlo. Here LO is attached to the end of the verb. It means you (masculine formal).

    ¿Has visto a Juan? Sí, lo vi ayer. Here LO means him.

    Does that help you, julius?

    NOTE: I am not a native Spanish speaker, so all native speakers of Spanish, please free to correct me or add to my explanation.
     

    jaykemin

    Senior Member
    English
    Hola, just to add se can also mean one.

    por ejemplo:
    Se puede nadar durante el verano. (One can swim during summer).
     
    Top