recommend you to... / recommend that you...

PinkCream69

Chile - Español
Hello people. I had a query today earlier in college, this situation came up whilst I was doing some exercises.

I recommend that you visit the new museum.
I recommend you to visit the new museum.

The examples might be basic, but my main concern is if the use of "I recommend you to" and "I recommend that you" are both correct?? And if yes, can anybody explain to me which are the differences amongst them?? Thanks in advance :)

• donbill

English - American
    Hello people. I had a query today earlier in college, this situation came up whilst I was doing some exercises.

I recommend that you visit the new museum.:tick:
    I recommend you to visit the new museum.:cross:

The examples might be basic, but my main concern is if the use of "I recommend you to" and "I recommend that you" are both correct?? And if yes, can anybody explain to me which are the differences amongst them?? Thanks in advance :)

I don't like the second sentence at all! You could say I recommend the new museum to you, but that changes the sentence quite a bit.

PinkCream69

Chile - Español
    Ok, then if the second statement is incorrect, may I still use the same structure with another verb? For example:

1. I want that you cook today.
    2. I want you to cook today. (correct??)

1. I need that you be here.
    2. I need you to be here (correct??)

Are in these cases the second ones incorrect too??? It is very important for me, because I always thought I could use the second structure as the subjuntive.

Thanks in advance. :)

donbill

English - American
    Ok, then if the second statement is incorrect, may I still use the same structure with another verb? For example:

1. I want that you cook today.
    2. I want you to cook today. (correct??):tick:

1. I need that you be here.
    2. I need you to be here (correct??):tick:

Are in these cases the second ones incorrect too??? It is very important for me, because I always thought I could use the second structure as the subjuntive.

Thanks in advance. :)

A lot has to do with the verb that you use:

a) verbs of communication

I request that you be here.
    I insist that you be here.
    I demand that you be here.

b) others

I want you to be here.
    I need you to be here.
    I expect you to be here.

gringuitoloco

American (awesome) English
    Although the second does sound a little odd, I do think it is grammatically correct. Two ways of writing the English subjunctive.

PinkCream69

Chile - Español
    Oh thank you very much for all your answers people :)

A lot has to do with the verb that you use:

a) verbs of communication

I request that you be here.
    I insist that you be here.
    I demand that you be here.

b) others

I want you to be here.
    I need you to be here.
    I expect you to be here.

So it has to do with the verb, right?? Do you (or anybody) have any idea how I can identify which verbs I can use with the second structure?? I mean, are there any connotations I should pay atention in order to write that way?? It's been really hard to find sources to verify these queries :/

Thanks in advance.

Aranzabal

Spanish
    Sorry, but I'm getting lost. My grammar book says:" the verb recommend is followed by the infinitive when it is followed by an object( you, him..) otherwise it is followed bu the _ING form.
    I'd recommend you TO visit Barcelona.
    Doctors recommend walking.
    Any help, please. Than you in advance.

Chris K

English / US
    I recommend that you visit the new museum. :tick:
    I recommend you visit (sin "to") the new museum. :tick: -- but maybe not as idiomatic. "I suggest you visit" would be fine.

I recommend you to visit the new museum. :cross: -- you could probably get away with it but it's awkward and not correct.

Agró

Spanish-Navarre
    The Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary of Current English includes the following examples under the entry "recommend":

recommend sb to do sth, suggest as wise or suitable, advise: I have been recommended to try these pills for sea-sickness. I recommend you not to disobey your officers. Do you recommend raising the school-leaving age?

Chris K

English / US
    The Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary of Current English includes the following examples under the entry "recommend":

recommend sb to do sth, suggest as wise or suitable, advise: I have been recommended to try these pills for sea-sickness. I recommend you not to disobey your officers. Do you recommend raising the school-leaving age?

Burchfield's Fowler's Modern English Usage also includes an example ("I recommend you to control your temper") so the construction with "to" appears to be accepted. To my ear it doesn't sound natural, though. I probably would have said the above as:

It has been recommended that I try these pills for sea sickness.
    I recommend that you not disobey your officers.

Gisellee

Spanish-Peru
    Dear friends, what about this writing?:
    "Inkaterra Machu Picchu Hotel is one of the best villages in Peru. If you want to see the tropical forest, the ancient Inca city and stay in this magical hotel, I recommend visiting it at least once in your life."

To be honest, it sounds odd for me to write: "I recommend that you visit it at least once in your life"
    It'd be normal for me to write: "I recommend you to visit this nice place at least once in your life"
    But since I realized that is not correct, maybe I'd write: "I recommend that you visit this amazing place at least once in your life" Do you suggest me to write "I recommend that you visit it" (just the pronoun?) or with a clause? (this amazing place)
    Thanks for your suggestions!
    :)

User With No Name

English (U.S. - Texas)
    I recommend visiting it at least once in your life.
    :tick: Sounds good to me. (Although I might prefer omitting "in your life," since "you" doesn't appear elsewhere in your sentence. I think that's just a style preference, though.)
    it sounds odd for me to write: "I recommend that you visit it at least once in your life"
    :tick:This also sounds perfectly correct and natural to me.
    "I recommend that you visit this amazing place at least once in your life" Do you suggest me to write "I recommend that you visit it" (just the pronoun?) or with a clause? (this amazing place)
    As far as I know, either would be just fine. (BTW, "this amazing place" isn't really a clause, at least as I learned the term.)

Gisellee

Spanish-Peru
    :tick: Sounds good to me. (Although I might prefer omitting "in your life," since "you" doesn't appear elsewhere in your sentence. I think that's just a style preference, though.)

:tick:This also sounds perfectly correct and natural to me.

As far as I know, either would be just fine. (BTW, "this amazing place" isn't really a clause, at least as I learned the term.)
    Thanks, dear! I thought a clause is a sentence with the minimum sense...like in Spanish hehe:B
    So, you suggest for example to write: "I recommend that you visit it at least once in a lifetime"? maybe? :B I guess the idea is to extend the writing :B

Forero

Do you suggest me to I write "I recommend that you visit it" (just the pronoun?) or with a clause? (this amazing place)
    Suggest is another verb like recommend.
    So, do you suggest for example to write writing: "I recommend that you visit it at least once in a lifetime"?
    "Once in a lifetime" is a phrase that refers to something very rare and does not work with "at least". I would say:

I recommend you visit it at least once in your life.:tick: