Really these cell phones are a fantasy

Gisellee

Spanish-Peru
Dear friends,
In a piece of writing about a cell phone, would it be possible the use of "really"? Example:
"The new cell phone coming to Piás has a cool design, really these cell phones are a fantasy because they are lightweight and ..."
But I found that: Really is especially frequent in spoken English. In writing, people usually prefer to use very or extremely to emphasize an adjective, or very much to emphasize a verb: a really dangerous activity → a very dangerous activity | I really enjoyed the play. → I enjoyed the play very much.

If that is the case: maybe I would put: "...these cell phones are absolutely fantastic because..." or something similar. Also, the writer is not putting the adverb "really" in the correct order...I guess..
Thanks for your suggestions!
Giselle

• gengo

American English
    "The new cell phone coming to Piás has a cool design, really these cell phones are a fantasy because they are lightweight and ..."
    But I found that: Really is especially frequent in spoken English. In writing, people usually prefer to use very or extremely to emphasize an adjective, or very much to emphasize a verb: a really dangerous activity → a very dangerous activity | I really enjoyed the play. → I enjoyed the play very much.

First, we can't say "are a fantasy" in this context, as that would mean that the phones are not real. Second, in that position (as above), the word really does not mean very, extremely, etc., and instead means in reality or actually. It would mean very if we moved its position as follows.

these cell phones are really fantastic

You are right that this use of really is more informal, and in formal writing we tend to use other words.

Gisellee

Spanish-Peru
    First, we can't say "are a fantasy" in this context, as that would mean that the phones are not real. Second, in that position (as above), the word really does not mean very, extremely, etc., and instead means in reality or actually. It would mean very if we moved its position as follows.

these cell phones are really fantastic

You are right that this use of really is more informal, and in formal writing we tend to use other words.
    That means that for example, I can say: "Actually, these cell phones are fantastic because....."
    Thanks Gengo!:D

These cell phones are absolutely/just/simply/beyond fantastic -- a dream come true

I'm not liking Actually, these cell phones are fantastic, probably because it wouldn't be put that way unless saying actually was the speakers verbal tic, ya know. Also actually tends to get employed in situations where something is being disputed: Actually, EVs require more fossil fuel to manufacture than gas-guzzlers use in a lifetime

Last edited:

gengo

American English
    I'm not liking Actually, these cell phones are fantastic, probably because it wouldn't be put that way unless saying actually was the speakers verbal tic, ya know. Also actually tends to get employed in situations where something is being disputed

Yes, that is what I was thinking of, and that could easily fit this situation.

-These new phones aren't that good.
    -Actually, these cell phones are fantastic.

The second speaker is disputing what the first one said.