Percentage of proto-Slavic derived lexicon in each slavic language?

Michalko

Slovak - Slovakia
Some statements in this thread Slavic languages similarities made Polish into some sort of Slavo-Germanic creole with Latin grammar, with added unsourced note that Polish only has several hundred words of Slavic origin.
Some people even say that Polish is a germanic version of Latin with Slavic grammar. ;)
I feel like this is completely false, because I exposed myself to Polish and can understand it the most after Czech from all Slavic languages, but I wonder, is there some sort of a list that states how much of a given Slavic language's words are of x origin? There is such a list on Wikipedia for Hungarian Hungarian language - Wikipedia but I found nothing like that for any Slavic language. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Such calculations are not scientific since there is no way to evaluate whether a certain derived word attested in a part of the languages represents
    (a) a Common Slavic word lost elsewhere,
    (b) a shared innovation of these languages,
    (c) an independent parallel innovation of each language or one/two/three clusters of languages, or
    (d) it is actually present dialectally or in social registers even in languages where it is not mentioned in dictionaries available to the researcher.
    For example, East Slavic has the word дзевяноста/девяносто/дев'яносто "ninety". On the one hand, it is a nice candidate for the continuation of the Proto-Indo-European *hₑneu̯nhₐ dkʲm̥tom "nine tens" (reflected in a modified form e. g. in Latin nōnāgintā), on the other, it is attested neither in other Slavic languages nor in old East Slavic texts. So, is it an archaism or an innovation casually looking like an inherited word?

Another example, an academic Slavic etymological dictionary contains the word *otъdojь with three counterparts: Bulgarian отдой "ablactation of a lamb; time of this ablactation", Polish dialectal odoje~odoji "cattle milking place" and Russian dialectal отдой, which, depending on the dialect, may mean "last milk yield before calving" or "first milk yield after calving" or "yield of unfit milk (after calving)" or "cow state before calving when milking is ceased" etc. So, is it a Common Slavic word lost in Czech and therefore proving the less Slavic nature of that language? There are thousands of such words in the dictionary.

Last edited: