Partially cover / cover partially

Creatur

Spanish
I'm applying for a grant and there is a section where I am asked to explain how I'll allocate the funds. I'm saying that ''The funds will be used to partially cover the cost of...'' I was wondering if ''partially cover'' sounds idiomatic and/or if ''cover partially'' sounds better. Thanks!

• gengo

American English
    I'm applying for a grant and there is a section where I am asked to explain how I'll allocate the funds. I'm saying that ''The funds will be used to partially cover the cost of...'' I was wondering if ''partially cover'' sounds idiomatic and/or if ''cover partially'' sounds better.

I agree that the adverb sounds more natural in front of the verb. In normal speech, your sentence sounds perfectly fine. However, since this is a formal context, I would recommend not splitting the infinitive with the adverb, and instead rephrasing the sentence as: The funds will be used to cover a portion of the cost of...

gengo

American English
    Gengo, are you against splitting infinitives???? What else? no preposition stranding ?
    I'm not "against" anything in grammar. I'm just saying that in formal writing it is better to avoid splitting an infinitive if there is another natural way to say the same thing.