para verificar / a verificar

Lancel0t

Philippines - Filipino
Another question guys, in the following phrase, which is correct

... to verify your telephone number it is xxxxxxx .....

... para verificar/comprobar el numero de telefono es xxxxxx ....
... para verificar/comprobar su numero de telefono es xxxxxx ....

... a verificar/comprobar el numero de telefono es xxxxx....
... a verificar/comprobar su numero de telefono es xxxxx....

if none, please correct this. Thanks in advance.

• Artrella

Banned
    BA
    Spanish-Argentina
    Lancel0t said:
    Another question guys, in the following phrase, which is correct

... to verify your telephone number it is xxxxxxx .....

... para verificar/comprobar el numero de telefono es xxxxxx ....
    ... para verificar/comprobar su numero de telefono es xxxxxx ....

... a verificar/comprobar el numero de telefono es xxxxx....
    ... a verificar/comprobar su numero de telefono es xxxxx....

if none, please correct this. Thanks in advance.

Hi Lancel0t!! ;) :p ;)

I'd say :arrow: para verificar que el número de su/tu teléfono es....

Eg, Lo llamo para verificar que el número de su teléfono es 777777777

:arrow: I have doubts as regards the sentence in English

I'd say

To verify that your telephone number is 77777777777

Parreño

USA, English and Spanish
    All of the phrases seem possible, it just depends on what it is that you want to say.

as for the 'para' vs. 'a'....

Vengo a verificar que el número...
    or
    Estoy aquí para verficar que el número...

Either one works, really, just depending on how you say it.

as for the 'comprobar' vs. 'verificar'.... to me, 'comprobar' would mean almost like you are dialing the number to make sure that it works, whereas 'verificar' is like (in your example) you are repeating a phone number to someone to make sure you got it correctly

as for the 'su' vs. 'el'.... I think that also depends.... 'su' would imply that the number belongs to someone (usted, or a third party) , and 'el' is merely any number has not been denoted as belonging to any specific person. It is simply THE number.

But... frankly, more often than not, I hear people simply say "¿Cuál es tu teléfono?", without saying "número de". And it sounds perfectly fine to me to say "Una vez más, para verificar, su teléfono es...."

Anyone, please contradict me if I'm just smoking crack, but that sounds the most natural to me.

Artrella

Banned
    BA
    Spanish-Argentina
    Parreño said:
    All of the phrases seem possible, it just depends on what it is that you want to say.

as for the 'para' vs. 'a'....

Vengo a verificar que el número...
    or
    Estoy aquí para verficar que el número...

Either one works, really, just depending on how you say it.

as for the 'comprobar' vs. 'verificar'.... to me, 'comprobar' would mean almost like you are dialing the number to make sure that it works, whereas 'verificar' is like (in your example) you are repeating a phone number to someone to make sure you got it correctly :arrow: We use verificar when the telephone company makes sure that the number is really yours and nobody else is using your line

as for the 'su' vs. 'el'.... I think that also depends.... 'su' would imply that the number belongs to someone (usted, or a third party) , and 'el' is merely any number has not been denoted as belonging to any specific person. It is simply THE number. :arrow: but it is "el número de su teléfono"

But... frankly, more often than not, I hear people simply say "¿Cuál es tu teléfono?", without saying "número de". And it sounds perfectly fine to me to say "Una vez más, para verificar, su teléfono es...." :arrow: yes, but what about the telephone company when they want to verify the lines?, they'd say >>"vengo a verificar el número de su teléfono"

Anyone, please contradict me if I'm just smoking crack, but that sounds the most natural to me.

I'm just smoking Marl....ro and I must contradict you in some little things... ;)