Norwegian/Spanish: ble værende

felicia

Norwegian, Norway
Hei! Kan vi bruke "ser" og "estar" på samme måten som vi bruker "å være" og "å bli?" Hvordan kan vi da oversette " han BLE VÆRENDE på øya o to år?" Trykkfeil, skal være "i to år."

• elroy

Imperfect mod
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    (Él) estuvo dos años en la isla.

You use the verb "estar" because you're referring to a location, and the pretérito because the verb expresses a specific past instance of being somewhere for a set period of time.

felicia

Norwegian, Norway
    elroy said:
    (Él) estuvo dos años en la isla.

You use the verb "estar" because you're referring to a location, and the pretérito because the verb expresses a specific past instance of being somewhere for a set period of time.
    Mange takk, Elroy! AS you seem to be aware, we have equivalents of "ser" and "estar" in Norwegian, but the sentence ..."ble værende..." includes both "estar" and "ser" in Norwegian, which leads me to wonder if we can use both "ser" and "estar" in the same sentence with more or less the same meaning? Translation is tricky and perhaps never quite exact, but it's worth a try??

elroy

Imperfect mod
    Well, I don't think there's a one-to-one correspondence between "ser" and "å være," or between "estar" and "å bli."

For example you would say "Jeg er syk" but "(yo) estoy enfermo."

Similarly, you would say "Turen ble planlagt" but "El viaje fue planeado."

I think it's dangerous to rely on Norwegian translations that don't work all the time; you should truly try to understand "estar" and "ser" in Spanish, and the uses that correspond to each.

It's a tough challenge! I still have problems with it from time to time, so I understand your struggle.

¡Mucha suerte!

elroy

Imperfect mod
    I just noticed that I had neglected to answer this question:

which leads me to wonder if we can use both "ser" and "estar" in the same sentence with more or less the same meaning?

The answer is no.

felicia

Norwegian, Norway
    elroy said:
    Well, I don't think there's a one-to-one correspondence between "ser" and "å være," or between "estar" and "å bli."

For example you would say "Jeg er syk" but "(yo) estoy enfermo."

Similarly, you would say "Turen ble planlagt" but "El viaje fue planeado."

I think it's dangerous to rely on Norwegian translations that don't work all the time; you should truly try to understand "estar" and "ser" in Spanish, and the uses that correspond to each.

It's a tough challenge! I still have problems with it from time to time, so I understand your struggle.

¡Mucha suerte!
    Mange takk, Elroy! I just hoped for an "easy" way to place "ser" and "estar" in my vocabulary, but there it is. I still get mixed up with the little Spanish I have learnt and Italian, which I know quite well, and ser and estar come out "stare and essere"! and "å bli" and "å være" willhave to remain where they are, in Norwegian. Thanks for your good reply.

dahut

Europe - Spanish
    Hello

You could translate it as well as:
    "Estuvo en la isla dos años" = "Permaneció en la isla durante dos años ".

SER/ESTAR, I don't think you should try to find an exact equivalent to "å være" "å bli".

Ok! This is my try for an explanation...

SER implies "something is going to last... even for good"
    E.g.
    Soy mujer/Soy hombre = Jer er (en/ei) kvinne/Jer er (en) mann
    (pls, notice that when the language was formed, it had little to do with nowadays surgery options :))
    Es un gato = Det er en katt
    Es una mesa = Det er et bord
    Soy médico = Jer er lege = I am a doctor
    Voy a ser médico = Jeg blir lege = I want to be a doctor / I will become a doctor
    (you might change your mind, but not for a chance at the moment you speak: your plan is to be a doctor for good. Period)

ESTAR implies "NOT forever".
    E.g.
    Estoy con una amiga/amigo = Jeg er sammen med en venn.
    (one might like his/her friends a lot, but it doesn't mean that one becomes the friend)
    El gato está debajo de la mesa = Katten er/sitter/ligger under bordet.
    (It might already be planning to jump over the sofa)
    Estoy en el médico = Jeg er hos legen.
    (Let's assume that you don't want to be there forever ;))
    Tengo que quedarme más tiempo/rato en el médico = Jeg må bli lenger hos legen.
    (I am not sure whether it would be "lenger" or "lengre")

Este es mi amigo = Han er min venn
    Estoy en casa de mi amigo = Jeg er hos mi venn
    Me quedo en casa de mi amigo = Jeg blir hos min venn. (Let's say that he invited you to stay over)

I tried to help.
    Pls, feel free to change all the mistakes I did in Norwegian. I would really apreciate it.

Hilsen