Norwegian: praksis

orinoco910

English - England
I'm struggling to understand what this sentence means:
Han har vært en kunstner som har en betydelig praksis bak seg.
Specifically the praksis part - practice? custom? experience? thanks!!

• winenous

English - British
    In this case I think the best translation into English would be oeuvre - "He had been an artist with a significant oeuvre".

The tenses of the verbs in the Norwegian seem inconsistent to me. Shouldn't it be "som hadde"?

winenous

English - British
    Great suggestion thanks! And yes, I thought that too, especially since the artist is dead..
    I don't think whether they are dead or alive makes much difference. Artists still have their oeuvre, even if they are dead.

I am always unsure about Norwegian punctuation, which is why I was not certain - I understand the use of commas is a lot stricter than in English, but I never really learned the rules. However, in English "He had been an artist, who has a significant oeuvre" sounds just about OK to me; while "He had been an artist (no comma) who has a significant oeuvre" sounds odd, as it suggests he still has the oeuvre at the time the had been an artist.

Anyway, that nothing to do with "praksis", and it is an issue that I side-stepped in my translation :)

raumar

Norwegian
    The sentence in the original post was badly written, in my opinion.

I think the use of "praksis" is odd, unless it is some kind of art jargon. But the meaning should be clear, as winenous has explained.

I also agree with winenous that the verb tenses don't look right, including "har vært". Since the artist is dead, I would have used "Han var en kunstner" instead of "har vært". Isn't that the same in English? Wouldn't "He was an artist with a significant oeuvre" be better, unless there is something in the context that justifies "had been" (for example "He had been an artist .... until something happened")?

Regarding the commas, I am not quite sure about the rules myself. In any case, I think winenous' side-stepping also would have improved the Norwegian original: "... en kunstner med en betydelig praksis bak seg."

winenous

English - British
    Wouldn't "He was an artist with a significant oeuvre" be better, unless there is something in the context that justifies "had been" (for example "He had been an artist .... until something happened")?
    I agree with that. I was assuming that something DID happen, and he gave up art for some reason.