Grefsen

English - United States
Jeg vil gjerne skrive på norsk "I need to increase my Norwegian vocabulary." :D

Der er mitt "
delvis" (partial?) forsøk:

Jeg trenger
"to increase"
mitt norsk vokabularet.

(When I used tritrans to look up increase there were nine possible translations. :eek: )

• Obil Tu

"Jeg trenger å utvide ordforrådet mitt" is the first sentence that comes to mind.

"Vokabular" isn't wrong, but it's perhaps more erudite in its latinate-ness, and personally I prefer using good old-fashioned Norwegian words when they exist (and in line with the sentence you want help with, I imagine you'd be happy to learn it!). "Ordforråd" would literally be "word supply" or "word stockpile" or something like that, which I think it's a nice image, at that. "Utvide" would mean "expand", literally, but it's something of a collocation together with "ordforråd" or "vokabular".

Last edited:

Obil Tu

(Oh, and of course you could say "det norske ordforrådet mitt". If you want to stick with "vokabular", it has to be "mitt norske vokabular" or "det norske vokabularet mitt" (our nice double definite).)

Grefsen

English - United States
    "Jeg trenger å utvide ordforrådet mitt" is the first sentence that comes to mind.
    Tusen takk for veldig raske svaret ditt. :thumbsup:

"Vokabular" isn't wrong, but it's perhaps more erudite in its latinate-ness, and personally I prefer using good old-fashioned Norwegian words when they exist (and in line with the sentence you want help with, I imagine you'd be happy to learn it!).
    Kult! :)

"Ordforråd" would literally be "word supply" or "word stockpile" or something like thaht, which I think it's a nice image, at that.
    I agree. :)

Grefsen

English - United States
    "Ordforråd" would literally be "word supply" or "word stockpile" or something like that, which I think it's a nice image, at that. "Utvide" would mean "expand", literally, but it's something of a collocation together with "ordforråd" or "vokabular".
    Prior to reading your post I wasn't familiar with the norskord "forråd." The English translation for forråd provided by lexin.no is "store" and there was an example given of det norske sammensatte ord "hermetikkforråd" (store of tinned goods).

Jeg liker beste oversettelsen av forråd som "supply." "Stockpile" is another possible translation, but unfortunately my first association with "stockpile" is "nuclear weapons." :eek:

henbjo

Norwegian
    Prior to reading your post I wasn't familiar with the norskord det norske ordet "forråd." The English translation for forråd provided by lexin.no is "store" and there was an example given of det norske sammensatte ord "hermetikkforråd" (store of tinned goods).

Jeg liker beste oversettelsen av forråd som "supply" best. "Stockpile" is another possible translation, but unfortunately my first association with "stockpile" is "nuclear weapons." :eek:

Jeg er enig med deg i at "supply" er den beste oversettelsen av "forråd". Fortsett å praktisere norsken din, den er veldig bra. :)

Grefsen

English - United States
    Jeg er enig med deg i at "supply" er den beste oversettelsen av "forråd". Fortsett å praktisere norsken din, den er veldig bra. :)
    Tusen takk for denne rettelsene og velkommen til nordisk språkforum henbjo. :thumbsup:

Også tusen takk for veldig positiv tilbaksmelding. :)

Last edited: