Norwegian: hjemme hos meg

littlepond

Hindi
Hei! In a dictionary, I found this sentence "Hva sier dere til et nachspiel hjemme hos meg?" It means, I understand, "how about a party later on at my place?" But I am confused why both "hjemme" (at home) and "hos meg" (my place, chez moi) are needed: wouldn't the sentence be ok if it were "hva sier dere til et nach hos meg?"

Thanks in advance!

• raumar

Norwegian
    Well, I wouldn't say that they always are needed. In your example, the context should make it clear that it is at home. "Hva sier dere til et nachspiel hos meg?" is fine, if you are(for example) in a pub in your neighbourhood. But if you are staying at a hotel in another city, "Hva sier dere til et nachspiel hos meg?" would refer to your hotel room.

In any case, "hjemme hos meg/deg" is often used in Norwegian.

winenous

English - British
    Well, I wouldn't say that they always are needed. In your example, the context should make it clear that it is at home. "Hva sier dere til et nachspiel hos meg?" is fine, if you are(for example) in a pub in your neighbourhood. But if you are staying at a hotel in another city, "Hva sier dere til et nachspiel hos meg?" would refer to your hotel room.

In any case, "hjemme hos meg/deg" is often used in Norwegian.
    +1

"Hjemme hos meg" is often used, even if the "hjemme" is not required because it is obvious. It is a phrase that seems to easily roll off the tongue when spoken at normal conversational speed.

Ben Jamin

Polish
    I didn't mean to imply that defining of the place is always necessary. I should have added that this might have been so when the expression was once coined, but now it is a kind of a fixed phrase.