Norwegian: handle (tennis racquet)

jancho

Czech
Hello.

How would you say a "handle" (of a tennis racquet) in Norwegian? It is a noun. It is the part of a tennis racquet that a tennis player holds in their hand while playing.

a picture

suggestion: handle

Thank you.

• kirsitn

Norway, Norwegian
    I would say håndtak, but I don't play tennis, so I don't know if that's the correct technical term.

Handle does not exist as a noun in Norwegian, but "Å handle" is a verb which can mean either to act (intransitive verb) or to do shopping/buy something (transitive or intransitive).

Huffameg

Norwegian - nynorsk
    "Grep" is the closest term. It translates directly to "grip", but is in this case used as a noun describing the handle part of a racquet.

Or, in many circumstances, one can use "skaft".
    I think I agree that in tennis "grep" would be best.

webchick

Norwegian - bokmål
    A handle does indeed exist as a noun in norwegian, and would be directly translated as "Et håndtak" but in tennis you would use the sister-noun "Et skaft".

:)

aaspraak

Norway Norwegian
    A handle does indeed exist as a noun in norwegian, and would be directly translated as "Et håndtak" but in tennis you would use the sister-noun "Et skaft".

:)

Handle is not a Norwegian noun. The English noun handle can often be translated to the Norwegian noun håndtak.

Here are some google images of handle:
    http://images.google.no/images?hl=nn&q=handle&btnG=Biletsøk&gbv=2

In most cases I would use the word håndtak to describe what I see in these pictures, but on knives I would use the word skaft.

Grefsen

English - United States
    Handle is not a Norwegian noun. The English noun handle can often be translated to the Norwegian noun håndtak.

Here are some google images of handle:
    http://images.google.no/images?hl=nn&q=handle&btnG=Biletsøk&gbv=2

In most cases I would use the word håndtak to describe what I see in these pictures, but on knives I would use the word skaft.
    Tusen takk for your very informative post. The link to the pictures of so many different types of "handles" was quite helpful. :thumbsup:

Cerb

Norwegian - Bokmål
    From my time playing tennis I remember "grep" or "grip" (eng) as the name of the special type of tape you wrap around the handle. I'd also use "håndtak" for a racket.