Norwegian: han lukter røyk

Kajeetah

French - France
Hi!

It's me again with a line from the series Wisting.
With my collegue, we disagree on the meaning of røyk here. As cigarette butts are central in the story, she thought it was about smelling of tobacco in the following line:

"Og så lukter han surt, han lukter røyk." (recording of an abducted girl, giving information about her kidnapper)

But in my episode, I have the following line:
"Det ligger en røykhytte litt lenger ned i skogen. Cecilia nevnte det på opptaket. Det luktet surt, det luktet røyk, så var det no mer." (a guy who thinks he found the place where the abducted girls are kept)

The English translation I have to rely on (as I don't speak Norwegian) just reads "hut" for "røykhytte" but my feeling is that it's a kind of cabin for smoking fish or meat. So the guy smells this kind of smoke, not cigarette. Am I right?

Thanks in advance! (I hope I gave enough context ;))

• winenous

English - British
    Røykhytte could be a place for smoking fish or meat. Or it could be a very basic dwelling, with a fireplace but no chimney - the smoke from the fire would gather in the ceiling, and eventually leave through a hole in the ceiling.

So I suspect it is a hut where someone could live, and the smoke is from a fire used to keep the place warm.

Kajeetah

French - France
    Thanks!
    I have a picture of the hut I think, but I don't know if I can post it here for "identification"

raumar

Norwegian
    "Røyk" in Norwegian could mean any kind of smoke - from cigarettes, a fire, or other sources. But I think you are right, Kajeetah. The context of a "røykhytte" makes it likely that this is the smell of smoke from the "røykhytte", not from cigarettes.

As Winenous explains, a "røykhytte" could be different things. My guess would be that this is a hut for smoking fish and meat, since you don't find many buildings with a hole in the ceiling instead of a chimney today, except in open air museums. But I can't be certain. Does it matter for the translation what kind of "røykhytte" this is?

Kajeetah

French - France
    Thanks a lot!
    What matters most is "røyk" , as my collegue il reluctant to translate it simply by "smoke"
    I also have to translate "røykhytte" but I'll go for the fish thing because it matches "surt" and "røyk" well, I think.