Norwegian: groomsman

jancho

Czech
Hello.

How would you say "groomsman" in Norwegian? It is a noun meaning male wedding participant.

Here is wiki definition:
Groomsman is one of the male attendants to the bridegroom in a wedding ceremony. (usually there are many of them)

For more info here is a link to wiki.

There is no context here, because it is a technical term.

no suggestion

Thank you.

Last edited:
  • Tech12

Norwegian
    I'm pretty sure that this doesn't exist in a Norwegian wedding ceremony, so the word won't exist either. The closest thing would be "forlover", but as far as I know a "groomsman" isn't the same thing as a "best man".

vestfoldlilja

Norwegian
    We don't really have the same tradition here, we do have brudesven, but that is a male child. It is common to have a brudepike and brudesven, perhaps more than one of each.

jancho

Czech
    We don't really have the same tradition here, we do have brudesven, but that is a male child. It is common to have a brudepike and brudesven, perhaps more than one of each.

I understand. Wedding ceremony is different in most countries.

But is
    brudepike=female
    brudesven=male??

Tech12

Norwegian
    I understand. Wedding ceremony is different in most countries.

But is
    brudepike=female
    brudesven=male??

That's correct.

By the way, would you mind saying what you are using all these translations for? I'm curious by nature. :)

Obil Tu

I would say it has to be "brudesvenn"(Google: 165 vs 7000) on the model of other words ending with "-svenn" and meaning a young man of some variety.