Norwegian: "gå i bane" vs "gå på banen"

lemuriens

British English
Hello all,

I just heard the song "jeg går i bane" on P3. On searching for some more information about the song on Google, I came across the phrase "gå på banen", which appeared a lot on football pages.

Could someone explain to me the meaning of these? I guess the first one is like "I hit the road" but I'm not sure about the second.

Thanks!

• Obil Tu

"Gå i bane" means "to be in orbit", used about planets or satellites. So in the song it should be metaphorical :)

"Gå på banen" with "gå på" as a phrasal verb means to be put on (for a football player) or just to go onto the field (as in when the match begins). (If you take "på" as a preposition, however, it means to "walk on the field", but that's besides the point. :))

Last edited:

lemuriens

British English
    Ah, that makes sense, thanks :)

In that case, is there some combination of those words (maybe with another preposition or something) that would translate to "hit the road" as well? Just to make things confusing for me!

Obil Tu

Ah, that makes sense, thanks :)

In that case, is there some combination of those words (maybe with another preposition or something) that would translate to "hit the road" as well? Just to make things confusing for me!

Hm, not that I can think of off the top of my head. "Road" would usually be "vei" (or maybe "landevei" (country road)) when it's in a metaphorical sense. For "I hit the road" I might say "jeg legger i vei"...