Norwegian: dritings

littlepond

Hindi
Hei alle sammen!

In Episode 1 of NRK TV/web series "Blank", after having met a Tinder match the previous night, which did not go that great, just ok-ish, a girl is indecisive whether to send a message to him the next day. She thinks that she will text him, saying hei, then "Shit, jeg var dritings. Sorry hvis jeg ble for slitsom." What's "dritings"? I didn't find it in a dictionary, so maybe it's some slang or jargon?

Thanks in advance!

• Svenke

Norwegian
    It's slang.
    We have slang expressions like drita full and drit(t)full, which mean 'very drunk'. Drit(t) is literally 'excrement, dirt'.
    Based on such expressions, we have formed dritings with the same meaning.
    -ings is a suffix which (as far as I know) is used only in slang words (nouns and adjectives), like rullings 'cigarette rolled by hand', hundrings '100 kroner note', skjerpings 'concentration, being serious', cf. skjerpe seg (used mostly in commands: Skjerpings! 'get a grip!).

Last edited:

littlepond

Hindi
    I think she was meaning that she didn't put up a good show (to impress the guy). The girl's character is kind of insecure in the series.

raumar

Norwegian
    Well, if we translate the whole text "Shit, jeg var dritings. Sorry hvis jeg ble for slitsom." to standard English, we get something like "Shit, I was really drunk. I'm sorry if I became a nuisance". If we shall convert this from standard English to slang English, I'm not the right person to ask - I'll leave that to you.

winenous

English - British
    If we shall convert this from standard English to slang English, I'm not the right person to ask - I'll leave that to you.
    From what I have read here, the best slang translation of "dritings" is probably "shit-faced".

But what I don't fully understand is the Norwegian word written above as "shit". Is that the English word, which has now been adopted by Norwegian speakers? Or is it really the more polite Norwegian expletive spelled "skitt"?

Svenke

Norwegian
    Shit is the English word. Bokmål skitt is pronounced the same and may be used in a similar way. But skitt is more often used in expressions like skitt au 'oh well never mind' (literally 'shit too') and skitt la gå with a similar meaning (literally: 'shit let go'). Of course, they are all colloquial.

winenous

English - British
    Shit is the English word. Bokmål skitt is pronounced the same and may be used in a similar way. But skitt is more often used in expressions like skitt au 'oh well never mind' (literally 'shit too') and skitt la gå with a similar meaning (literally: 'shit let go'). Of course, they are all colloquial.
    Thank you - it's good to know.

But the literal translation of "skitt" is "dirt" isn't it? Or is that something else that has changed?