Norwegian: Det er noen her.

lemuriens

British English
I just read that this could mean "there is somebody here" or "there are some people here".

On reading the sentence, which one would a native speaker assume it to mean? Is there any way of phrasing this sentence differently either way to remove the ambiguity?

Thanks! :)

• Huffameg

Norwegian - nynorsk
    I just read that this could mean "there is somebody here" or "there are some people here".

On reading the sentence, which one would a native speaker assume it to mean? Is there any way of phrasing this sentence differently either way to remove the ambiguity?

Thanks! :)

There are, as far as I can see, two ways of interpreting the phrase.
    First, and most probable, is the one you use yourself: "there is somebody here".
    Secondly, emphasizing "noen" it would be more like "there are some people here (but not as many as first previewed)".

So, basically, you're quite right.

kirsitn

Norway, Norwegian
    Is there any way of phrasing this sentence differently either way to remove the ambiguity?

When speaking you would normally just stress either "er" or "noen" to differentiate between the two cases. But you could also say "Det er noen folk her" or "Det er et par personer her", in which case it can only mean "There are some people here".