Miscelánea: la coma y el artículo

Marchant

USA - English
Despite studying Spanish for many years now, I'm still somewhat confused about commas and articles. The former seem to be used less in Spanish than English, and the latter seem to appear more often.

In English, I would say, "I went to the store, because he needed bread." However, as I understand it in Spanish, it would be "Yo fui a la tienda porque él necesitaba el pan." Porqué ninguna coma?

Additionally, would you say, "I am a student" as "Soy estudiante" (sin articulo)? In French, there's no article in "Je suis étudiant" because the 'étudiant' serves as an adjective instead of a noun? Is this similar in Spanish?

• funnydeal

Mexico / Español
    Marchant said:
    Despite studying Spanish for many years now, I'm still somewhat confused about commas and articles. The former seem to be used less in Spanish than English, and the latter seem to appear more often.

In English, I would say, "I went to the store, because he needed bread." However, as I understand it in Spanish, it would be "Yo fui a la tienda porque él necesitaba el pan." Porqué ninguna coma?

Please read this article, it might be helpful.

http://spanish.about.com/library/weekly/aa071999.htm

©2005 About, Inc. All rights reserved. A PRIMEDIA Company.

Marchant said:
    Additionally, would you say, "I am a student" as "Soy estudiante" (sin articulo)? In French, there's no article in "Je suis étudiant" because the 'étudiant' serves as an adjective instead of a noun? Is this similar in Spanish?

It is the same, "estudiante" in this case is serving as an adjective.

junglecrazd1

U.S.A. english
    Marchant, actually in the English sentence "I went to the store, because he needed bread" doesn't need a comma. It is completely correct to write the sentence as :"I went to the store because he needed bread" without the comma. Normally in English, with the cunjunction 'BECAUSE'