me habría quemado vivo

akelas

Spanish, from Spain
Hola.
Quiero traducir al inglés "... me habría quemado vivo" en el siguiente contexto:
Last night there was a big fire in a night club, with many people dead. The fire started at 3 a.m. Luckily for me I left the place at 2:50 a.m.
Are the following phrases correct?

1 - Had I stayed 10 minutes longer, I would have burnt alive.
2 - Had I stayed 10 minutes longer, I would have been burnt alive.

Gracias de antemano.

• akelas

Spanish, from Spain
    Gracias Sprache.

Mi duda es si se puede quemar uno, o ser quemado. (ruling out that one strikes a match and tries to intentionally burn himself)

The Newt

English - US
    I would only use "Had I stayed 10 minutes longer, I would have been burnt (or 'burned') alive." A person can "burn," but not "burn alive."

Sbm40

English, England
    Both options sound fine to me. Like others suggest, the second one is preferable

The Newt

English - US
    Hi,

I didn't get this, could you please explain what you meant, The Newt? Thanks in advance.

You can burn things (transitively: "I burned the manuscript"), but things can also burn ("the log burned in the fire"). The idiom "to burn alive" is generally only used transitively ("they burned the prisoners alive") or passively ("the prisoners were burned alive"). To say "I would burned (or burnt) alive" is uncommon.

Sbm40

English, England
    You can burn things (transitively: "I burned the manuscript"), but things can also burn ("the log burned in the fire"). The idiom "to burn alive" is generally only used transitively ("they burned the prisoners alive") or passively ("the prisoners were burned alive"). To say "I would burned (or burnt) alive" is uncommon.
    I see what you are saying but..
    Eg. If I sit out in the sun and don't use suncream, I burn alive. This is perfectly acceptable (idiomatic of course)

The Newt

English - US
    I see what you are saying but..
    Eg. If I sit out in the sun and don't use suncream, I burn alive. This is perfectly acceptable (idiomatic of course)

I agree that it wouldn't raise eyebrows. Personally I'd be more likely to say "I burn to a crisp" in that situation.

Sbm40

English, England
    I agree that it wouldn't raise eyebrows. Personally I'd be more likely to say "I burn to a crisp" in that situation.
    Yes, that too, but it's still an expression often used in the UK. To be honest, I was really answering your comment 'The idiom "to burn alive" is generally only used transitively' :)