may have known

zeppo

Senior Member
USA
The context is a narrative which has already established that those in the room are indeed being watched. With that in mind, how would you translate the following:

The fourth person entering room 215 may have known he was being watched, but he did not care.
 
  • Philippa

    Senior Member
    Britain - English
    zeppo said:
    The fourth person entering room 215 may have known he was being watched, but he did not care.

    Hi zeppo
    This is exactly the sort of thing I find really confusing and difficult and so I'm going to have a go so I can be corrected. I'm guessing that the may bit needs to be subjuctive...

    La cuarta persona ingresando en la habitación 215 supiera? hubiera sabido? que se observaba pero no le daba igual.

    I think this is probably veeeerrry wrong and I look forward to finding out the right answer!!

    Saludos
    Philippa :)
     

    Chaucer

    Senior Member
    US inglés/español
    Estoy adivinando. Sé que habrá sabido es el futuro perfecto, pero me suena algo bien aunque lógicamente sé que no puede ser. Pido que confirmen mi error. Hay que descartar los pensamientos irracionales cuando se puede.

    Gracias.

    La cuarto persona que entró a la habitación habrá sabido que se le estaba observando, pero no le importó.
     

    Chaucer

    Senior Member
    US inglés/español
    Estoy adivinando. Sé que habrá sabido es el futuro perfecto, pero me suena algo bien aunque lógicamente sé que no puede ser. Pido que confirmen mi error. Hay que descartar los pensamientos irracionales cuando se puede.

    Gracias.

    La cuarta persona que entró a la habitación habrá sabido que se le estaba observando, pero no le importó.
     

    carmen37

    Member
    España/ español
    zeppo said:
    The context is a narrative which has already established that those in the room are indeed being watched. With that in mind, how would you translate the following:

    The fourth person entering room 215 may have known he was being watched, but he did not care.


    La cuarta persona puede que supiera que estaba siendo observada.....
     

    zeppo

    Senior Member
    USA
    carmen37 said:
    La cuarta persona puede que supiera que estaba siendo observada.....

    thanks, Carmen. You forgot the part about entering the room, however.
    Could you please add that part into your sentence. I'd like to hear from you since you are in Madrid.

    thanks.
     

    zeppo

    Senior Member
    USA
    zeppo said:
    The context is a narrative which has already established that those in the room are indeed being watched. With that in mind, how would you translate the following:

    The fourth person entering room 215 may have known he was being watched, but he did not care.


    Here is how the book translator wrote the above (in red) in Spanish:

    Podría ser que la cuarta persona que entró en la habitación supiera que estaba siendo observada, pero no le importaba.


    I found it interesting that the translator instead of translating "may have known" directly, instead began the sentence with "podría ser que." I was curious as to whether it would have sounded awkward to translate the English directly into Spanish, and that is why he reworded it. What do you Spanish-speakers think of his translation?
     

    carmen37

    Member
    España/ español
    zeppo said:
    Here is how the book translator wrote the above (in red) in Spanish:

    Podría ser que la cuarta persona que entró en la habitación supiera que estaba siendo observada, pero no le importaba.


    I found it interesting that the translator instead of translating "may have known" directly, instead began the sentence with "podría ser que." I was curious as to whether it would have sounded awkward to translate the English directly into Spanish, and that is why he reworded it. What do you Spanish-speakers think of his translation?

    "La cuarta persona que entró en la habitación puede que supiera que estaba siendo observada, pero no le importaba (o importó)". Usar el pretérito imperfecto o perfecto dependería del resto de la frase o del estilo personal.

    Una pequeña variación, casi coincidiría con la traducción que tienes tú. Sería "Puede que la cuarta persona que entró supiera que estaba siendo observada, pero no le importó"

    Cualquiera de las dos formas me suena bien. Así es como yo lo traduciría.
     

    zeppo

    Senior Member
    USA
    carmen37 said:
    "La cuarta persona que entró en la habitación puede que supiera que estaba siendo observada, pero no le importaba (o importó)". Usar el pretérito imperfecto o perfecto dependería del resto de la frase o del estilo personal.

    Una pequeña variación, casi coincidiría con la traducción que tienes tú. Sería "Puede que la cuarta persona que entró supiera que estaba siendo observada, pero no le importó"

    Cualquiera de las dos formas me suena bien. Así es como yo lo traduciría.

    Gracias. I may have to switch to yet another book. I am looking for one in which the translator will remain true to the choices in style of the original English author *except* in cases where a direct translation to Spanish would sound unnatural, cumbersome, or awkward to the native Spanish speaker-- in those case I would actually *appreciate* and desire the translator to make the change in style, because then I learn from that decision. Unfortunately, it seems that this book's translator's choices are arbitrary and at his whim, which is fine for the reader (it's just a childrens' book), but means the learning examples will not be as obvious to me. Certainly it is also helpful to see the different ways an idea may be expressed in Spanish. But at this stage in my learning, it would be more helpful to me to know when a different way is imperative to making the sentence sound appropriate versus simply the stylistic whim of the translator. This is why I am very happy to have your feedback in answer to my questions. I am grateful to be able to get the input of those immersed in the Spanish language.

    Sorry that I am writing in English, but at this stage, it's the only way I can ensure I am expressing myself correctly.
     

    carmen37

    Member
    España/ español
    zeppo said:
    Gracias. I may have to switch to yet another book. I am looking for one in which the translator will remain true to the choices in style of the original English author *except* in cases where a direct translation to Spanish would sound unnatural, cumbersome, or awkward to the native Spanish speaker-- in those case I would actually *appreciate* and desire the translator to make the change in style, because then I learn from that decision. Unfortunately, it seems that this book's translator's choices are arbitrary and at his whim, which is fine for the reader (it's just a childrens' book), but means the learning examples will not be as obvious to me. Certainly it is also helpful to see the different ways an idea may be expressed in Spanish. But at this stage in my learning, it would be more helpful to me to know when a different way is imperative to making the sentence sound appropriate versus simply the stylistic whim of the translator. This is why I am very happy to have your feedback in answer to my questions. I am grateful to be able to get the input of those immersed in the Spanish language.

    Sorry that I am writing in English, but at this stage, it's the only way I can ensure I am expressing myself correctly.

    I'm very pleased about being helpful. We'll keep in touch. Although, I'm afraid my answers will be behind the times (how would you say "diferencia horaria"?)
    Saludos
     

    tarraco

    Member
    Spain (Spanish)
    I would translate it this way:

    "La cuarta persona que entró en la habitación 215 debía saber que estaba siendo observada, pero no le importó."

    Hope it will help you.
     
    Top