Mama didn't raise no fool

Pirulo1234

Spanish
Hello everyone,

I'd like to know what this expression means. I'm not sure if this is an expression or what, but it's the name of a song by the band "MAGIC!" and I've never known what it really means.

A million thanks in advance.

• User With No Name

English (U.S. - Texas)
    [My] mama didn't raise no fool. = "Mi mamá no crio a un tonto".

Y puesto que la persona a quien crio mi mamá soy yo, la oración viene a significar que yo no soy tonto.

Y sí, es una expresión.

Pirulo1234

Spanish
    [My] mama didn't raise no fool. = "Mi mamá no crio a un tonto".

Y puesto que la persona a quien crio mi mamá soy yo, la oración viene a significar que yo no soy tonto.

Y sí, es una expresión.

And wouldn't it be more correct, then, to say "Mama didn't raise a fool", instead of "no fool"? I thought double negation wouldn't be allowed in English

User With No Name

English (U.S. - Texas)
    The double negative in sentences like this is incorrect and stigmatized, but common in less-educated speech, particularly in the southern U.S., and especially (but by no means exclusively) in African American English.

And since the use of "mama" is also typical of that register (most Americans would probably say "mother" or "mom"), the sentence as a whole seems natural (and perhaps humorous, which is the intent).

And @Reina de la Aldea, it's been many a long year, but I'm pretty sure I did hear this sentence now and then while growing up in rural Texas.

And @Reina de la Aldea, it's been many a long year, but I'm pretty sure I did hear this sentence now and then while growing up in rural Texas.
    Lucky you!
    wouldn't it be more correct, then, to say "Mama didn't raise a fool", instead of "no fool"?
    It sounds SO much better with no fool. The double negative gives it extra punch. It's more than a statement of fact, it's a bold assertion