La profesora es lesionada

ilias05

Dutch-Netherlands
Hi guys

I was wondering what the difference is between those two sentences, in regard of the speaker´s view. Can you help me with that?

La profesora es lesionada por un estudiante agresivo.
La profesora está lesionada.

• ilias05

Dutch-Netherlands
    Thank you, but I wanted to know in which of the two sentences is the speaker present?

ilias05

Dutch-Netherlands
    Oke; but is it true that in the first sentence the action is happening in the present of the speaker; and in the second sentence the speaker wasn´t there when the action took place.

Bevj

Allegra Moderata (Sp/Eng, Cat)
    English (U.K.)
    Yo no veo que ninguna de las oraciones implique la presencia de la persona que habla. Puede ser que esté describiendo una escena sin estar presente.

ilias05

Dutch-Netherlands
    Pero en la primera oración se dice: la profesora ES lesionada por un estudiante agresivo. y no HA SIDO o fue lesionada. Eso implica que el hablante está presente no?

Artifacs

Spanish - España
    In a way, yes and no.

First of all, no one would say that sentence in passive form unless the speaker is broadcasting the events like a Radio/TV sport anchor in a live game or something.

The speaker witnessing the action would say:

«Un estudiante agresivo está lesionando a la profesora.»

Aviador

Castellano de Chile
    La profesora es lesionada por un estudiante agresivo doesn't seem to me what somebody would spontaneously say, it sounds more appropriate for a news headline. One reason is the periphrastic passive construction that is very seldom used in everyday speech in Spanish.

gvergara

Castellano (variedad chilensis)
    Hola:

En Chile muchos relatos de los hechos efectuados por carabineros (policía chilena) los hacen en presente. Pienso que un miembro policial podría perfectamente relatar que La profesora es agredida por un estudiante agresivo, sin implicar que él/ella haya estado presente. Desde mi perspectiva, en ninguno de los dos casos expuestos está implícita la presencia de quien habla.

ebulerdo

Spain - Spanish
    La profesora es lesionada por un estudiante agresivo doesn't seem to me what somebody would spontaneously say, it sounds more appropriate for a news headline. One reason is the periphrastic passive construction that is very seldom used in everyday speech in Spanish.

I agree with this comment. Although la profesora es lesionada por is grammatically correct, it doesn't sound natural. This kind of sentence is typically a poor translation of English, which uses the passive a lot more than Spanish.

I would say Un estudiante agresivo lesionó a la profesora. A news headline would probably read Profesora lesionada por un estudiante agresivo.

I'm not sure I understand the question of the OP, though. Maybe the difference he's looking for is the use of "ser" vs "estar". La profesora está lesionada simply describes a situation while La profesora es lesionada por un estudiante seems to describe an action that is taking place right now.