If I had the opportunity to travel, I will go....

Gisellee

Spanish-Peru
Dear friends,
A friend said to me: "If I had the opportunity, I will travel to Mexico" and I thought, that was incorrect according to the conditionals rules...but is it possible to use "will" instead of "would"?

• User With No Name

English (U.S. - Texas)
    No. It's ungrammatical just as it would be in Spanish.
    Entirely true.

However, to be fair, in casual speech it is far from impossible to hear sentences where the two parts of an if-clause don't "match." The same is the case, I believe, in Spanish.

S.V.

Español, México
    The same is the case, I believe, in Spanish.
    :thumbsup: True, though I feel most cases involve ama & amaba. In this case, Si algún día yo tuviera la oportunidad, quiero visitar... The speaker 'comes back' from a far-off possibility, to express a current desire. But Si tuviera... voy a visitar... would be stranger in Spanish.

Last edited:

gengo

American English
    A friend said to me: "If I had the opportunity, I will travel to Mexico" and I thought, that was incorrect according to the conditionals rules...but is it possible to use "will" instead of "would"?

It's a mistake, plain and simple. That some native speakers might say it that way changes nothing. Sometimes when we speak, we sort of change our minds in the middle of a sentence, resulting in a mismatch of tenses, etc.

Trailbosstom

American English
    It's a mistake, plain and simple. That some native speakers might say it that way changes nothing. Sometimes when we speak, we sort of change our minds in the middle of a sentence, resulting in a mismatch of tenses, etc.
    Yes, I said it was ungrammatical and mostly because I cannot imagine a native speaker saying it. Ever.