Icelandic: pronunciation

CathyMF

England English
Can anyone help me? I am reading a novel set in Iceland, which includes some Icelandic words. Most of them I can make a (very) rough guess at the pronunciation of, due to a year of Anglo Saxon at university, but how is the 'o' with a little x over it pronounced? My guess is either as we English would pronounce 'd' or 'th'.

• jazyk

Brazílie, portugalština
    I don't know squat about Icelandic, but if you're talking about ð, it's a voiced th, as in this.

Whodunit

Deutschland ~ Deutsch/Sächsisch
    CathyMF said:
    Can anyone help me? I am reading a novel set in Iceland, which includes some Icelandic words. Most of them I can make a (very) rough guess at the pronunciation of, due to a year of Anglo Saxon at university, but how is the 'o' with a little x over it pronounced? My guess is either as we English would pronounce 'd' or 'th'.

Jazyk is correct, but if you want a more thorough explanation, you should definitely post the words you have trouble with here in the forum.

modus.irrealis

English - Canada
    I just wanted to add that the vowels are pronounced differently than I expected when I first took a look, especially the ones marked with an acute accent.

A good site seems to be this one here.

Freyja

Canada
    modus.irrealis said:
    I just wanted to add that the vowels are pronounced differently than I expected when I first took a look, especially the ones marked with an acute accent.

A good site seems to be this one here

Thank you for that. I am trying to learn Icelandic and this is very helpful.