GREEK REVOLUTION AND PHILHELLENES

Status
Not open for further replies.

ioanell

Greek
On the occasion of the celebrations for the 200 years that have passed since the outbreak of the Greek Revolution / War of Independence against the Ottoman Empire on the (symbolic date of) 25th of March 1821, a Revolution which led to the Liberation of the Greeks and the official establishment of the Greek State in 1830, we, as descendants, feel the need to express through this Forum our deep

Respect and Gratitude to (the Memory of) all the numerous
PHILHELLENES

who, either with their physical participation or with their political, diplomatic, moral, artistic and financial support, contributed to the achievement of this supreme national goal; with very special reference to two important persons who played a distinguished role in the Greek War of Independence, George Gordon Noel Lord Byron, an English peer, poet and politician -who died nobly for Greece at Messolonghi on 19 April 1824- and Charles Nicolas Fabvier, an ambassador, general and member of the French parliament; both took up arms to join the Greek revolutionaries.
THANK YOU ALL​

• bearded

On this important occasion, I would like to express to all Greek friends my feelings of solidarity and participation.

Among the Philhellenes who died for the independence of Greece, I would like to commemorate here also an Italian:
    Santorre di Santarosa.

Count Santa Rosa was accompanied to Greece to take part in the Greek War of Independence by another prominent Piedmontese refugee, Count Giacinto Provana di Collegno who had also been an officer in Napoleon’s army. He was asked by the Greek provisional government to change his name to Derossi in order to avoid any connections with his previous revolutionary actions, and thus avoid the rage of the Holly Alliance and the Great Powers. Santa Rosa was killed on 8 May during the Battle of Sphacteria (1825), when he was caught in a cave on the island of Sphacteria and refused to surrender.[2][3][4]

Σαντόρε ντι Σανταρόζα

Last edited:

sotos

Greek

ianis

Portuguese - Portugal
    Χρόνια πολλά!

Didn't know but there was actually a Portuguese that served under Fabvier called António Figueira de Almeida, he latter became a general. Like the Spanish civil war it seems to have attracted people from many countries.

Also adding the wishes that one day humans will be able to solve issues like this peacefully.

Apollodorus

English UK
    I think it wouldn't be out of place to also mention Captain Frank Abney Hastings who was fatally wounded at Missolonghi.

The participation in the Greek Revolution of freedom-fighters from so many European nations shows how much can be achieved through unity of purpose in the face of a common enemy. It is to be hoped that international cooperation will continue in the struggle against oppression, dictatorship and genocide.

Status
    Not open for further replies.