Bulgarian: kilijne učilišta (Килийно училище)

sotos

Greek
Hello everybody. I found this expression in a historical article about education in Bulgaria during Ottoman period (turkocracy). What language is it and what it means? Thanks.

• Panceltic

Slovenščina
    It's Bulgarian. Килийно училище (kiliyno uchilishte, singular) is, according to Wikipedia, a type of elementary school with church-religious nature that existed in the Bulgarian lands in the era of Ottoman rule.

Christo Tamarin

Bulgarian
    Hello everybody. I found this expression in a historical article about education in Bulgaria during Ottoman period (turkocracy). What language is it and what it means? Thanks.
    It's Bulgarian. Килийно училище (kiliyno uchilishte, singular) is, according to Wikipedia, a type of elementary school with church-religious nature that existed in the Bulgarian lands in the era of Ottoman rule.
    Literary: "cellular schools" "σχολείο στο κελί"

sotos

Greek
    Thanks for the answers. I understand that "cell" (κελί) is the small room of a monk.

A final question: Does it have a connotation of "secrecy" or "underground"? In the article the "cellular school" is treated as related to the Greek "secret schools" of the Ottoman period.

sotos

Greek
    You mean underground in the sense of illegal or clandestine? Is this connotation supported by dictionaries or other sources? Thanks again.

DarkChild

Bulgarian
    Those were the only schools for the most part of the Ottoman rule and were mostly for monks, priests, etc. The education was primarily religious and wasn't available to the public.

I don't think they were secret and it seems that the Ottomans tolerated them.

Christo Tamarin

Bulgarian
    You mean underground in the sense of illegal or clandestine? Is this connotation supported by dictionaries or other sources? Thanks again.
    Underground - in the sense of non-official. Not related in anyway to the imperial administration, not related even to the orthodox bishops. It does not mean illegal. No diplomas issued. Those who attended those schools might say: "I can already read the Gospel".

I would not say that the imperial administration "tolerated" those schools. Actually, it had not any relation to them.