Brahalla

Le parent italien

Italiano
Hi , what is it the Brahalla,thanks?
In Scandinavian countries, Odin carried the slain from Brahalla to Valhalla in a golden ship.

• Le parent italien

Italiano
    Where have you find this word or name? I don't think it is something from original Norse mythology.
    From
    SYMBOLISM OF THE EAST & WEST
    H. MURRAY- AYNSLEY

In Scandinavian mythology, a fabulous dog called Garmr was believed to guard the entrance to the infernal regions. Several of the northern nations of Europe believed the dead had to cross over water in boats to their future home. For this reason, in Scandinavia, bodies were sometimes buried in ships. A large vessel containing the bones and weapons of some deceased chief was found a few years ago near the Sonde Fjord in Norway. Sweden, too, has popular legends to the same effect. Thus, Odin is fabled to have conveyed the slain from Brahalla to Valhalla in a golden ship.

Svenke

Norwegian
    I would regard this text with a good deal of skepticism.
    As a Norwegian, I don't understand what is meant by "Sonde Fjord in Norway". There is a region called Sunnfjord, formerly spelt Søndfjord, but this is actually not a fjord.
    As to "Brahalla", my only guess -- probably wrong! -- is that it could refer to the Brahälla or Brahehälla castle ruins at Gränna in Sweden. But whether these have been tied to local myths about Norse gods, I have no idea. The castle dates back less than 350 years.

Brahälla – Wikipedia

raumar

Norwegian
    It seems that H. Murray-Aynsley couldn't spell Scandinavian names, but the rest may still be right. My guess is that "the Sonde Fjord" in Norway should be Sandefjord (which is a town and not a fjord). That fits with the "large vessel containing the bones and weapons of some deceased chief", which could be the Gokstad Ship (a viking ship found in a burial mound near Sandefjord).

For the Swedish case, I googled a couple of alternative spellings of "Brahalla". That led me to the Battle of Bråvalla, which took place around year 770. Maybe Brahalla should be Bråvalla?
    Battle of Brávellir - Wikipedia

winenous

English - British
    Yup, @raumar is correct, on Bråvalla at least. The story can be traced at least back to "Northern Mythology", 1851, by Benjamin Thorpe:
    20201006T130400.png

Northern mythology : comprising the principal popular traditions and superstitions of Scandinavia, North Germany, and The Netherlands : Thorpe, Benjamin, 1782-1870 : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

Before then, maybe it only existed as an oral tradition?

How Murray-Aynsley managed to mangle the spelling is another matter.

Last edited: