All Slavic: Pronunciation and value of vowels in name "Stella"

arn00b

English
Stella is not a very common name in most Slavic countries. I think it could be more popular in Czech, maybe Poland or Slovenia. In any case - how would this name be pronounced in your language? Does it make a difference if it's a foreign name or not? Does the origin of the name make a difference in the pronunciation? (I.e. Russian has Криштиану Роналду for Cristiano Ronaldo, closer to the Portuguese pronunciation, unlike the English pronunciation which just reads the name as if it were English. So the origin of the name does play a role, at least in the Ronaldo case)

Does the double L change the length of the -e- vowel? Does it change the duration of the -L-? Or is it treated as a spelling convention that has little to do with pronunciation?

I'm most curious about the value of the -e- than anything.

Thanks, everyone.

• Panceltic

Slovenščina
    In Slovenian, it would be pronounced [ste:la] - that is, the 'closed' e vowel followed by a single l.

Awwal12

Russian
    For Russian a pretty rough IPA transcription would be ['st̪ɛɫːə]. Have in mind that all the consonants are velarized, which is not reflected for the sake of simplicity (except for "l", where non-velarized [l] would lead to a very thick foreign accent, probably even causing the consonant to be misheard as [lʲ]). "T" is the usual Russian dental [t̪] (not the English alveolar [t]). Non-geminated [ɫ] instead of [ɫː] may happen, Russian isn't very consistent about geminates inside a morpheme.

I sincerely doubt that you'll get a lot of accurate IPA transcriptions for other languages, though.
    Does the double L change the length of the -e- vowel?
    Russian doesn't differentiate vowels by length. The stressed vowel is always longer, absolutely regardless of the surrounding consonants or other syllables; still the main distinctive feature of it is a dynamic stress itself. Or, actually, it's the unstressed vowels that are shorter (and have reduced articulation).

Last edited:

bibax

Czech (Prague)
    Czech: mostly ['stɛla], however it can be also ['stæla] or even ['stæɫa], it depends on the dialect (Prague vs. South/North Moravian dialects).

Милан

Serbian (Србија)
    In Serbian this would be spelled Stela, with one L. I am sure it is a short vowel with falling tone Stȅla. Long vowel would sound strange, and short vowel with rising tone even stranger.
    Using IPA: ['stêɫa]