All Slavic: Phrasal surnames

swintok

English - Canada
Hello, all.

I know almost all languages that use surnames have colourful ones that are formed from adjectives, verbs, or other parts of speech as well as descriptive ones based on the appearance of a person or some physical characteristic. In Ukrainian, however, there are some very unusual surnames that are not just single adjectives or other single-word describers, but are actual descriptive phrases, often verbal. Here are some examples:

Перебийніс -Re-break the nose
Перемийвовк - Re-wash the wolf
Недайборщ - Don't give the borshch
Нетудихата - The house isn't over there
Непалицеркву - Don't burn the church
Накрайсела - At the edge of the village
Непийпиво - Don't drink the beer

Do similar phrasal surnames, especially ones formed from verb phrases, exist in other Slavic languages? Of course they do in Russian and Belarusan, given the centuries of movement of people within the Russian and Soviet empires, but what about in West and South Slavic?

Thanks.

Last edited:
  • Enquiring Mind

English - the Queen's
    Hi swintok, Czech has a number of surnames that (1) can be said to be descriptive phrases, or (2) are recognisably derived from verbs that convey a meaning, and may thus be described as "colourful" and/or "phrasal", though many of the examples in my group (2) are now so well-established as surnames that native speakers (according to my own highly subjective polls over many years) don't think twice about the meaning any more:

(1) - "Colourful phrases" surnames: Nejezchleb - Don't Eat (the) Bread; Skočdopole - ("Jump") Nip into the Field; Osolsobě - Put Salt on your own Food; and, according to Radio Prague (radio.cz), Zřídkaveselý - Rarely Happy; Hrejsemnou - Play With Me [35 males and 2 females registered in the Czech Republic, it's the 37,125th most common name]; Vraťsezase - Come Back Again; Vítámvás - I Welcome You; Rádsetoulal - Liked to Wander Around [16 males and 21 females registered with this name in the Czech Republic]. Of all these, I only know real examples of Nejezchleb, of which there are many.

(2) - Past-tense-of-verbs surnames: Vraždil - Murdered; Chytal/Chytil - Caught; Dočkal - Finally Got What He Was Waiting For; Odehnal/Vodehnal - Chased Away; Dohnal - Caught Up With; Nepil - Didn't Drink; Vybíral - Was Choosing; Odstrčil - Pushed Away; Kouřil/Kuřil - Smoked; Netopil - Didn't Have The Heating On: Doskočil - Jumped As Far As; Přeskočil - Jumped Over; Odskočil - Jumped Away; Vyskočil - Jumped Out; Poskočil - Did A Jump; Hnízdil - Made A Nest; Pospíchal/Pospíšil - Hurried; Rýpal - Dug; Padal - Fell; Hladil - Stroked; Smrkal - Was Blowing His Nose. This list is (almost) endless, and some of these names are very common.

Last edited:

Selyd

ucraniano
    Add:
    Півторакожуха - one and a half casing
    Панібудьласка - lady, please
    Бочказмаком - barrel poppy
    Нездіймишапко - does not take up a cap

Selyd

ucraniano
    Probably a mistake :
    Перемийвовк - Re-wash the wolf (2)