All Slavic languages: thick socks

• samrcak

Bosnian
    Very interesting you use 1 word.....What is the etymology of priglavke?

I just know that the word “priglavke” (plural) is used for traditional wool slippers made by knitting. Priglavke were usually knitted by our grandmothers, so I’m afraid that this tradition could die out.

rusita preciosa

Modus forendi
    Russian (Moscow)
    Russian:
    тёплые носки /tyoplye noski/ - warm socks
    толстые носки /tolstye noski/ - thick socks
    шерстяные носки /sherstyanye noski/ - wool socks

P.S. If I saw the photo you posted and was asked without any context "what are these?", I'd say шерстяные носки

Last edited:

DarkChild

Bulgarian
    In Bulgarian it's дебели чорапи literally "fat socks"

I just know that the word “priglavke” (plural) is used for traditional wool slippers made by knitting. Priglavke were usually knitted by our grandmothers, so I’m afraid that this tradition could die out.

In Bulgarian those are called терлици/terlitsi.

Colutti

Slovak - Slovakia
    Teplé/hrubé/vlnené ponožky (warm/thick/wollen socks) in Slovak. I'd say hrubé ponožky (thick socks) is the most common way to say it.

iezik

Slovenian
    In Slovene, I think the debele nogavice is preferred over tople nogavice, although the selection of phrase can depend on material properties or suggested usage. I would also image using such socks when mountaineering as the second (outer) socks to reduce the friction on the foot.

Panceltic

Slovenščina
    Zokni (masc. pl.) and its variant zokne (fem. pl.) both mean socks in general.

I would only ever use zokni for this kind of thick socks. Socks in general are called štunfi/štumfi, at least where I live (central Slovenia).

Obviously, the expressions and their exact meanings will vary from dialect to dialect (or even from a village to a neighbouring one).

Last edited:

firely

Bulgarian
    In Bulgarian it's дебели чорапи literally "fat socks"

In Bulgarian those are called терлици/terlitsi.

Warm and thick is also used: топли and дебели чорапи. Both words are used frequently for all types of clothes and shoes. You can often hear:

Сложи си топли дрехи/обувки.
    Имаш ли дебели дрехи?

oveka

Ukraine, Ukrainian
    In Ukrainian:
    Панчо́хи - long
    Шкарпе́тки - short
    Жура́бки - woolen (few know)
    Панчо́хи вовняні = гамаші (borrowed) - leggings
    Гетри (borrowed) - gaiters