All Slavic: Frankfurt sausages

ilocas2

Banned
Czech
How do you call Frankfurt sausages in your language? In Polish it's not a direct translation so it's possible that in some other Slavic languages it's also not a direct translation.

Czech: frankfurtské párky (Frankfurt sausages) (singular frankfurtský párek)

• DarkChild

Bulgarian
    In Bulgarian it's кренвирш (krenvirsh). Apparently it comes from Krenwürstchen which in turn is made up of the Slovak word krěn meaning horseradish and the German Wurst. That's the explanation I found online.

And horseradish in Bulgarian is хрян (hryan), and I (not any one else) could make the connection between that and the sausage. Following that logic, the word for sausage should really by хренвирш (hrenvirsh) :D

Many people spell and pronounce is as kreMvirsh, because the N becomes nasalized and it creates confusion.

DarkChild

Bulgarian
    In Slovak it is chren, ch is pronounced like Cyrillic х. In Czech it is pronounced and spelled with k: křen (in German and Italian: der Kren, il cren).
    That makes more sense as Czech is closer geographically to German.
    Perhaps Frankfurt sausages are not so well-known worldwide, given the limited number of articles on the know-it-all Wikipedia. : D

I think they're better known as Vienna sausages.