All Slavic: Dual relics

Karton Realista

Polish - Poland
Hi
I'm pretty sure that the thread title is self-explainatory. I would like you to list some dual relics in your languages.

Polish:
-body parts that are doubled, like oczy (plural oka, not used anymore to describe eyes - eyeballs, but "eyes" in soups or nets), oczyma (plural oczami, both used, dual being more elegant/bookish); ręce (plural ręki, nonexistent in nowadays Polish), rękoma (plural rękami, both used, situation is similiar to "oczami", (w) ręku (plural (w) rękach, now the dual became singular-synonymous with (w) ręce);
-forms of nouns expressing the idea of both, two: oboma, obiema; dwoma, dwiema
-colloquial forms of verbs, e.g. wy chodzita, (my) chodźwa, (wy) chodźta - used as plural, as you can see I didn't list my chodziwa, because that form is nonexistent, altough very similiar to imperative form chodźwa (which is rather rare and sometimes replaced with 2nd person's form chodźta);
-word 200 - dwieście, coming from dual "dwie ście" (in oposition to plural "trzy sta", "cztery sta", "pięć set" etc.); "sto" nowadays is singularia tantum and there's a different countable version of hundred - setka (dwie setki, trzy setki) [compare Slovak dvesto, tristo, both with "sto" in singular].

Last edited:
  • marco_2

Polish
    Hi
    I'm pretty sure that the thread title is self-explainatory. I would like for you to list some dual relics in your languages.

Polish:
    -body parts that are doubled, like oczy (plural oka, not used anymore to describe eyes - eyeballs, but "eyes" in soups or nets), oczyma (plural oczami, both used, dual being more elegant/bookish); ręce (plural ręki, nonexistent in nowadays Polish), rękoma (plural rękami, both used, situation is similiar to "oczami", (w) ręku (plural (w) rękach, now the dual became singular-synonymous with (w) ręce); and, of course, uszy; plural ucha is recommended by grammarians when talking about bag's straps or jug handles, though most Poles don't use these forms.
    -forms of nouns expressing the idea of both, two: oboma, obiema; dwoma, dwiema
    -colloquial forms of verbs, e.g. wy chodzita, (my) chodźwa, (wy) chodźta - used as plural, as you can see I didn't list my chodziwa, because that form is nonexistent, altough very similiar to imperative form chodźwa (which is rather rare and sometimes replaced with 2nd person's form chodźta);
    -word 200 - dwieście, coming from dual "dwie ście" (in oposition to plural "trzy sta", "cztery sta", "pięć set" etc.); "sto" nowadays is singularia tantum and there's a different countable version of hundred - setka (dwie setki, trzy setki) [compare Slovak dvesto, tristo, both with "sto" in singular].

We also have two proverbs in Polish with duals:

1. Mądrej głowie dość dwie słowie.
    2. Trzy gęsi, dwie niewieście uczyniły jarmark w mieście.

Karton Realista

Polish - Poland
    and, of course, uszy; plural ucha is recommended by grammarians when talking about bag's straps or jug handles, though most Poles don't use these forms.
    Well, maybe it's true where you live, I would be flabbergasted if I heard "dzbanek z dwoma uszami" instead of "dzbanek z dwoma uchami", or "uszy w torebce" for "ucha w torebce".

Awwal12

Russian
    The most apparent trace of the dual in Russian is the case of nouns connected to numbers 2, 3, 4 when those stand in nominative (in other cases the noun gets the same case as the numeral). It's genitive singular, which here originates from reinterpreted nominative dual of old ŏ-stem nouns. Actually in some of those nouns it's still evident that it's not the usual singular genitive - the stress in the word differs. Cf. ni odnovó čása 'not a single hour' vs. dva časá 'two hours' (poor foreign learners!..). Of course, Russian also retains some of the old duals as plural forms (boká - sides of the body, rogá - horns, etc.) as well as such trivial things as the word dv'ésti mentioned above.

Lubella

Ukrainian
    In some ablative plural nouns свинями і свиньми, сльозами і слізьми.
    genitive plural nouns: vines лоз і ліз, holes нор і нір, goats коз і кіз, heads голов і голів, cows коров і корів, stockings панчох і панчіх.

...and then, there is one curious thing.... Names of some domestic animals, insects in the accusative plural form use both genitive (genetivus partitivus) and nominative:
    to feed swine, sheep, cows, goats, geese; to have bees and beesпасти свиней і свині, овець і вівці, корів і корови, кіз і кози, гусей і гуси; маю бджіл і бджоли.

In some ablative plural nouns свинями і свиньми, сльозами і слізьми.
    genitive plural nouns: vines лоз і ліз, holes нор і нір, goats коз і кіз, heads голов і голів, cows коров і корів, stockings панчох і панчіх.

...and then, there is one curious thing.... Names of some domestic animals, insects in the accusative plural form use both genitive (genetivus partitivus) and nominative:
    to feed swine, sheep, cows, goats, geese; to have bees and beesпасти свиней і свині, овець і вівці, корів і корови, кіз і кози, гусей і гуси; маю бджіл і бджоли.
    None of these are traces of the old Dual.

Last edited:

Lubella

Ukrainian
    None of these are traces of the old Dual.
    you're right, I was wrong, I had misunderstood and I apologize

There has been a reform in the 30's that wiped out all traces of the Dual (as a sign of nationalism) from the standard Ukrainian language to make it look more like the Russian language. But before that we had the Dual in effect.

for confirmation here's a citation:
    «Дві слові про наукове татарське письменство», «...В кожнім разі можна говорити не менше як про три групі [татарських говірок]» Агатангел Кримський
    Two words about tartare linguistic ... in any case we talk about as a minimum of three groups (of Tatar dialects) Ahatanhel Krymsky

Last edited:
    you're right, I was wrong, I had misunderstood and I apologize

There has been a reform in the 30's that wiped out all traces of the Dual (as a sign of nationalism) from the standard Ukrainian language to make it look more like the Russian language. But before that we had the Dual in effect.

for confirmation here's a citation:
    «Дві слові про наукове татарське письменство», «...В кожнім разі можна говорити не менше як про три групі [татарських говірок]» Агатангел Кримський
    Two words about tartare linguistic ... in any case we talk about as a minimum of three groups (of Tatar dialects) Ahatanhel Krymsky
    How did this reform practically happen? Did people routinely use the Dual yesterday but got punished the next day? Why didn't this reform wipe out all traces of the ходитиму-Future if its purpose was to make Ukrainian closer to Russian?

Lubella

Ukrainian
    1 they adopt the grammatical rules that prohibit the use of Dual
    2 These rules regulate the language in school books, the media etc.
    3 people who were born after the 20s learn the language that has been modified by these rules
    4 now the Dual exists only in the spoken language, dialect because it is considered "ungrammatical"

This reform is a historical fact ... or would you like to rewrite the history?

Сїмович В · 1919 · Граматика української мови для самонавчання та в допомогу шкільній науцї (Київ–Ляйпціґ):
    151: Двійня зберегла ся в цїй відмінї тільки в називн. (і знахідн.) відм. з закінченням -а, і то тільки в таких словах:
    рука́ва (побіч: рукави), вуса (побіч: вуси), повода́ (побіч: поводи), [два] бра́та (побіч: два брати)…

пор. Сидить сиріточка, рученята сховавши в рукава (Шевч.)

162: У цїй відмінї часто стрічаєть ся двійня в називн. і знахідн. з закінченням -ї (-і) побіч множини, та не тільки при числівнику два, але і при три й чотирі, н. пр.
    дві корови й дві (три, чотирі) корові,
    три мухи й три (дві, чотирі) мусї,
    чотирі риби й чотирі (дві, три) рибі

пор. Приїхавши до владики … вклонили ся низенько аж у самії нозї (Слов. Грінч). Дві руцї тягли вола за роги. Обидві половинї стали ще менчі (Нечуй-Левицький). Зігнув ся у три бідї (нар. припов.). Вінчались чотирі парі (Федькович)…

174: Майже від усїх іменників цїєї відміни можна для називн. і знахідн. вдм. творити форми двійнї на -ї, отже:
    яблуко — два яблука, побіч — дві яблуцї,
    вікно — три вікна " — три вікнї,
    слово — чотирі слова " — чотирі слові…

пор. Дві відрі, сказав, поставлю (Грінченко). Капралю (=капралеві) сказав дві слові (Франко–Панські жарти). Мала синів, як дві оцї (зовсїм нова форма двійнї, бо вже "очі" — це двійня, гл. § 169 2) в голові (Федькович)…

Уживання двійнї, як у жіночій відмінї (гл. § 158 2).

Левицький М · 1923 · Українська граматика для самонавчання (Катеринослав–Ляйпціґ):
    66: Двійна взагалі вже вмірає, пропадає в українській мові, але де-які форми її ще животіють: рукава, вуса, повода́: два (3 і 4) брата, два дуба і т. ин.

71: У цих іменниках часто ще трапляється форма и, особливо при числівниках дві, три і чотири: дві руці, спіткнувся кінь на всі чотирі нозі, дві корові (але й дві корови — множина); але без числівника вживається множина: болять руки, ноги, бо двійна в нашій мові вже відмірає; ще в Галичині кажуть иноді: цілую руці.

75–76: При числівниках дві, три, чотирі й обидва замісць множини вживається двійна: дві відрі, три яблуці, чотири поліні, хоч ця форма старовинна вже вмірає і замісць неї вживають множини (два відра, яблука, чотирі поліна)…

Ковалів П · 1946 · Граматика української мови (Мюнхен):
    25: Іменники мають два числа: однину і множину.

34: Деякі іменники мають закінчення -а (залишок старої форми двоїни, що означала парні речі): рукава, вуса, а від них приймають це закінчення іменники з збірним значенням: вівса, хліба, ґрунта тощо…

Тільки два слова приймають закінчення -і (залишок двоїни): очі, плечі.

Last edited: