All Slavic: "Cover" song, (Music) covers, unoriginal material, standards

kishe

German - Germany
Hi everyone.

I'm looking for the best way to translate the word "cover" in the context of a dialogue in the 1920's - 1940's.

I want to avoid "kaver" because it did not exist even in English at the time.

Is there a word, or was there a word, to refer to non-original material such as:

1. Folk and traditional songs: (Kalinka, Ajde Jano, Oj Moroz Moroz)
2. City songs: (Moja Mala Nema Mane, Govori Se Da Me Varaš)
3. Standards (Jazz standards like Mackie Messer, Avalon; Farewell Blues, Oči Čjornye)
4. War Songs (Katjusha, Marš Na Drinu, Ogonek)

The dialogue is:

A: (To musician) Play this song.
B: I don't play covers.

What word would've been used at that time to describe songs that aren't one's own?

If there's no specific word for this, could "popular songs" be substituted? Would that convey the same meaning? In English, it's a bit ambiguous, it makes it sound as if the artist does play songs of others, but not famous or well-known ones, or that he plays his own music but it's unpopular.

"I don't play classics" is also unclear in meaning in English.

Standards, without "jazz" is less problematic in English, but I'm not sure if it would work in Slavic languages.

What's the best way to translate this word to give the idea that he doesn't play other people's music?

Thanks in advance, everyone.

• Karton Realista

Polish - Poland
    Pl: Nie gram cudzych piosenek.
    I don't play other people's songs.
    In Polish nowadays we just say "cover", but since that's not an option, then my best shot is above.

bibax

Czech (Prague)
    In the past Czech also used the word šlágr, now mostly replaced by the English word hit with the same meaning.

In some context the musician could say: Odrhovačky nehraji.

odrhovačka = hackneyed/overplayed song, der Gassenhauer; in Czech the word sounds quite derogatory;

For the English cover we sometimes use the Czech word předělávka (remake, rework, rehash).

Píseň Karla Gotta "Adresát neznámý" je cover čili předělávka písně skupiny Beatles "From Me To You".

Last edited:

Karton Realista

Polish - Poland
    In the past Czech also used the word šlágr, now mostly replaced by the English word hit with the same meaning.
    Oh, szlagier, how could I forget about that one.

Nie gram (or nie grywam, habitual) słynnych/starych szlagierów.
    I don't play famous/old hits.