your voice is lovely

Cereth

Español
;) Ohaiyo everybody!

i just met a japanese guy and i loved his voice, i want to express that to him....
also i would like to know how to say:

"i´m nervous"
"i think you´re atractive"
"i work as an english-spanish translator"

i know that many of you (japanese speakers) are not from Japan, but can you tell me if it is correct to say that kind of things to someone you don´t know very well??

Domo Sumimasen!

• SpiceMan

Castellano, Argentina
    A ver, me gustaría más que me digas las palabras en castellano, así tengo mejor manejo de los matices.

Pero igual va mi intento:
    dokidoki shiteimasu/shiteiru (shiteimasu es más respetuoso, shiteiru más coloquial)
    dokidoki es nervioso(a) porque te late el corazón
    también esta wakuwaku que es cuando es más ansiedad que otra cosa, por ejemplo un nene de 6 años cuando quiere abrir un regalo de cumpleaños en seguida.

hansamu desu ne/dane < un cumplido, que se puede decir tranquilamente sin tener connotación de ¡Quiero dormir con vos ya!

iroke ga arimasu ne/aruyo ne < esto es más "sex appeal", que te parece atractivo físicamente. Pero se puede usar para describir una voz también. Una voz sexy, con "sex appeal". Si querés aclararlo, antes de iroke ga decís "koe wa" para aclarar que hablás de la voz. koe wa iroke ga aru ne. Otra posibilidad: suteki na koe. voz hermosa/preciosa/linda.

eiseiyakusha desu/da

eisei es medio complicado porque es algo raro de escuchar, lo ideal sería con kanji. 英西(eisei)訳者(yakusha).

instantREILLY

USA (English)
    "Your [singing] voice is lovely."
    歌声がすごく綺麗ですよ。
    Utagoe ga sugoku kirei desu yo.*

This is a strong compliment, rather than a casual remark. I assume you are looking to offer a bit of harmless flattery, so I would probably say it like this. Saying "ne" instead of or after "yo" will soften it a little, and be more like: "Hey, your voice is really nice." His response would be more like: "Aww, pshaw." Saying only "yo" will evoke more of a "thank you" response.

*Note: If you mean his speaking voice is nice, say 「声がすごく綺麗ですよ」 "Koe ga sugoku kirei desu yo."

"I'm nervous."
    ドキドキしてますよね。
    Dokidoki shite'masu yo ne.

Literally "My heart is pounding". Still, a casual remark. Adding to "yo ne" softens the sentence, so it sounds less blunt. However, I think saying just "Dokidoki shite'masu" (without the "yo ne") would push some kind of conversation out of him, despite sounding more blunt and a little awkward. If you add the "yo ne", he might just smile and say "Mmm."

"I think you're attractive."
    XXさん、素敵な人だと思います。
    XX-san, suteki na hito da to omoimasu.

*Literally "I think you are a [suteki] person". Adding "person" makes it a little less direct. This is tricky, because it is a very, very forward thing to say, paricularly in Japan. "Suteki" means "attractive," "pretty," "lovely," but also "great," "wonderful", or even "cool". It's something of a vague term (which is good here), unless you specifically say "Your face is [suteki]" or something. However, in context, I'm sure he will understand that you mean he is attractive. You generally wouldn't say words like "suteki", "kakkoii", "kirei" when speaking directly to someone you're on formal terms with. "Suteki" is relatively safe, although I think it might be better to compliment his personality with words like "erai" ("great") or "subarashii" ("wonderful").

"I work as an English-Spanish translator."
    私は、英西訳者の仕事をしてます。
    Watashi wa, eisei yakusha no shigoto wo shite'masu.

Literally "I am doing the work of an English-Spanish translator." This is relatively simple. The only word that may be confusing is "eisei", because it is probably not that common in Japan. It comes from the characters used in association with "English" and "Spanish". In Japan, to talk about Japan-US relations, or Sino-Japanese characters, you need to create a word using country-kanji. (Japan-US = 日米 "nichibei"; Sino-Japanese = 日中 "Nicchuu"). Because "Eisei" does not involve Japan, it is probably less common there. But if you need to clarify yourself, you can say:

英語とスペイン語の訳者の仕事をしてます
    Eigo to supeingo no yakusha no shigoto wo shite'masu.
    *Literally "I am doing the work of a translator of the English language and the Spanish language."

Cereth

Español
    Thank you so much both of you, however yesterday i just read spiceman´s reply...and my friend said to me i spoke pretty understandable japanese so i´m happy -besides it was very helpul that he speaks a little bit of spanish-
    i will be e-mailing my friend so later i will need a little bit of help....thanks guys

Ume

Banned
    Japanese
    I think instantREILLY did a good job.

"I'm nervous." ---> 緊張しています。(ドキドキしています。)
    緊張 [ きんちょう ]
    緊張していますよね。(ドキドキしてますよね。)---> You're nervous, aren't you?
    ------------------------------
    "I think you're attractive."
    XXさんは素敵な人だと思います。
    XX=the name of the person you speak to
    -------------------------------
    "I work as an English-Spanish translator."
    (私は)英語とスペイン語の通訳をしています。

< Previous | Next >