Work for

< Previous | Next >

Youngfun

Wu Chinese & Italian
Is it only me, but I think 为X公司工作 to translate to work for X company sounds wrong.

Moderator Note:
Thread has been branched from here.

• Skatinginbc

Mandarin 國語
    "To work for XX" could mean "to be an employee of XX" or "to work on behalf of XX." When XX refers to a company (公司), more likely than not it means "to be an employee of XX" (In contrast, the Chinese phrase 為XX公司工作 is normally interpreted as "to work on behalf of XX公司"). However, when XX refers to a person (), it can go either way, depending on the context (e.g., "Nobody wants to work for Trump." vs. "I work for God."). "运营商" (or 營運商 in my dialect) is grammatically a "人" (e.g., "公司法人", "企業法人", "財團法人" 的 "人"; cf. "台商", "奸商", "官商勾結" 的 "商"). We may say "在XX公司工作:tick:", but NOT "在XX營運商工作:cross:" because 營運商 is a "人", which calls for "在XX營運商那裡工作", "在XX營運商旗下工作", or ambiguously "為XX營運商工作".
    最近,一位同事通过纽约世贸中心一号观景台运营商工作的熟人的邀请,约好带我们一起去参观一下世贸一号观景台。"
    最近,一位同事跟我們約好一起參觀紐約世貿一號觀景台。他有熟人為該處的營運商工作,故有此機會, 能攜伴免費入場。

營運: 經營, 營業運作 (譬如, 掌管收售門票).

Last edited:

Youngfun

Wu Chinese & Italian
    I don't know if that sentence is acceptable to other people or not, but it sounds rather strange to my ear. I normally would say 我在 Vodafone(或Verizon、AT&T、H3G等)的一個營運商那兒工作.
    What if I am referring to Vodafone itself as a 运营商 (operator in the sense of mobile carrier)?

Youngfun

Wu Chinese & Italian
    在运营商工作 - Google Search

In many Google hits, 运营商 is used in the sense of mobile carrier company.

Your “ Vodafone 是个移动电话网络运营商. ” sounds strange. I would say: Vodafone是一家运营商

Especially for people who work in IT or telecommunications, 运营商 means 移动电话网络运营商 by default, no need to specify.

In fact , in the OP's sentence I was confused and was wondering what a mobile carrier company had anything to do with the World Trade Center.

< Previous | Next >