Word coincidence

< Previous | Next >

Arme

Armenian
Hello :) Is it the definite article or the accusative singular mark?
Hi Clamor, yes, it IS an accusative mark, and one of its meanings as an accusative mark is "definiteness", which today is expressed by modern Armenian definite article «ը» /"the" in English/.
For instance: օրհնեցԷք զՏԷր-օրհնեցեք Տիրոջը
օրհնեցԷք զանուն Տեառն-օրհնեցեք Տիրոջ անունը /Bless the name of the Lord/

The French linguist Antoine Meillet and others too talked about its "function expressing definiteness" which can be found in the earliest Armenian texts: they believe that it is an early function of «զ» before it became grammaticized as just an accusative mark.

Last edited:
  • ancalimon

Turkish
    There are literally tens of thousands of words between English and Turkish that look like anagrams. And it looks like (I am not saying that there is since I haven't tried finding any correlations) there is some kind of Caesar Cipher algorithm revolving around shifting letters by +-1 or 2 or 3 or changing letters between for example
    y<>a ı q<>k, p k<>q c g<>c k o<>2*ü
    w<>ğ,u. B <> 2*p, q etc.

Here is an example

Turkish
    Kaydır
    English
    Drag

Turkish
    Sürükle
    English
    Scroll

Turkish
    Sıkı ez
    English
    Squeeze

Turkish
    Sorgu from Turkic Soqra meaning to try the reach true knowledge (without force).
    English
    Query

Turkish
    Uygulat
    English
    Execute

Turkish
    Bağla (Baqla)
    English
    Apply

The list can can go on and on

I guess if the story about tower of babel is actually real in a sense and not a telltale, this could be it

Last edited:

mannoushka

Iran/Persian
    (1)
    Suffix ‘y’, pronounced like a short ‘i’, to indicate relatedness.
    Examples:
    English (adj.): oily, fishy, smelly, mossy, ratty, bitchy, cocky.
    Persian (adj.): gelli (muddy), iraani (of Iran), honari (artistic), aabaki (watery, dilute), sheeri (milky), tanni (in offspring, of same parentage), shahri (urban).

(2)
    English: fuzz
    Persian: vezz

(3)
    English: dark
    Persian: taareek

(4)
    English: puff
    Persian: poff

< Previous | Next >