Vladimir / Владимир pronunciation

< Previous | Next >

Aviador

Castellano de Chile
Hello, dear forum mates.
My question to you is about the correct pronunciation of the name Vladimir, specifically about where the stress in that word goes. I have always known that it is stressed on its the second syllable, -di- (at least how we see it in Spanish, I don't know Russian syllabic separation rules), but I was recently confused when hearing native Russian speakers (Saint Petersburg) in a video pronouncing with stress on the first syllable Vla-, like most English speakers pronounce the name.
I cannot put a link to the video here, but you can search for it (you know where) under the title "SADB SPb - Sellouts" and check at 5:07 into it.
Thank you very much in advance.

• jazyk

Brazílie, portugalština
    It is Vladímir. Even if you don't read Russian, you can see the stress mark in his name here.

Last edited:

Awwal12

Russian
    I cannot put a link to the video here, but you can search for it (you know where) under the title "SADB SPb - Sellouts" and check at 5:07 into it.
    The speaker drawls the pre-tonic syllable a bit (it's difficult to estimate the length audially, but it must be close to 1:1 in relation to the stressed syllable, as it often occurs in Moscow pronunciation, especially in emphatic speech). However, length isn't a phonemic feature in Russian anyway and isn't a necessary attribute of stressed vowels. The intensity of expiration and the focal point of intonation both seem to point at the second vowel. Maybe someone will be able to make spectrograms out of it and provide us with a more objective analysis, of course.

Vadim K

Russian - Russia
    Personalmente oigo "Влади́мир" con el acento en la segunda sílaba. Es posible que haya oido este nombre con el acento en la primera porque los dos hombres en el video lo habían dicho alargando un poco el sonido "a" en la primera sílaba. Pero para nosotros esto poco importa, oímos "Влади́мир" de todos modos.

Last edited:

Aviador

Castellano de Chile
    Thank you very much!
    Ok, so I was correct in my pronunciation of that name then and what I heard in that video was probably the result of those men's emphatic pronunciation, since it was the answer to a question.
    By the way, how would you do the syllabic division of that word correctly in Russian? For us in Spanish the natural way would be to do it like this: Vla-di-mir or in cyrillic: Вла-ди́-мир.

... Even if you don't read Russian, you can see the stress mark in his name here.
    Thank you, Jazyk, I had never noticed that accent mark in Russian scrips. Good tip.

Awwal12

Russian
    By the way, how would you do the syllabic division of that word correctly in Russian. For us in Spanish the natural way would be to do it like this: Vla-di-mir or in cyrillic: Вла-ди́-мир.
    Precise borders between syllables are kind of conventional (no phonetic studies will ever indicate those objectively), but syllabic division must preferably result in a chain of open syllables where each syllable begins with a consonant or some "easy" consonant cluster. If there's no consonant, the syllable will have to start with a vowel. If the cluster of consonants is "difficult", parts of it may close the preceding syllable instead, as a general rule. So yes, you're correct.

< Previous | Next >