vino oneratos sopire

< Previous | Next >

Ferris Bueller’s Day Off

Banned
English - US
Salve! Could someone tell me what vino oneratos sopire means? I'm guessing vino is the ablative of vinum and means by means of wine. sopire means "to make drowsy". As for oneratos, it is probably the accusative plural of something masculine. Could someone help me out here?

Thanks!

Last edited:
  • J.F. de TROYES

francais-France
    Some context would be necessary to make out this phrase.
    Oneratos
    is the passive past participle of the verb onero, -are, to load,to burden, but also to fill up. So vino oneratos means (people) filled up with wine and is the object of sospire. It could mean : to put them to sleep after (or : by) filling them up with wine.

Scholiast

Scholiasta amicis S. P. D.

Yes, vino here is (instrumental) ablative. Thus 'laden', 'infused', 'stuffed' with wine. I'm afraid Mr J. F. de TROYES' reading sospire is a little inaccurate, as sopire is clearly right. The entire phrase means ' to put [them—the masc. accusative plur. object] to sleep, drunk on wine'.

Σ

Snodv

English - Mid-Southern US
    If there isn't another direct object in the fuller quotation, I'd say the oneratos can be substantive as well as adjectival: [those who have been] loaded up with wine. So yes, it would constitute the direct object in that event.
    P.S. Ooh, look at that--we still say "loaded" for "drunk."

< Previous | Next >