vereiia osque

< Previous | Next >

emousecat

CHINA-CHINESE
While I was reading, I encoutered one Latin phrase ---vereiia osque. I can't find its meaning in the dictionary and elsewhere. I hope somebody here can interpret it for me! Thanks!

• winnie

italy, italian
    hi emousecat and welcome toWR forums!

i'll try to give you an explanation though it's not so simple.

are you reading something regarding Pompei/Ercolano? if it is the case, i found a web site in which they illustrate vereiia osque:

vereiia is not a Latin word but an Osci one.

Osci were the ancient population that lived mostly in Campania (an Italian region south of Rome, its main centre now beeing Naples) prior Latins (Romans) conquered it.

the meaning of vereiia is: a place where public banquettes were kept, it referres to community meals based on age classes societies.

HTH

walnut

Italy - Italian
    Hi Emousecat and welcome :)

I'm moving this thread to the Other Languages Forum.

Ciao! Walnut

emousecat

CHINA-CHINESE
    winnie said:
    hi emousecat and welcome toWR forums!

i'll try to give you an explanation though it's not so simple.

are you reading something regarding Pompei/Ercolano? if it is the case, i found a web site in which they illustrate vereiia osque:

vereiia is not a Latin word but an Osci one.

Osci were the ancient population that lived mostly in Campania (an Italian region south of Rome, its main centre now beeing Naples) prior Latins (Romans) conquered it.

the meaning of vereiia is: a place where public banquettes were kept, it referres to community meals based on age classes societies.

HTH

Winnie, thanks a lot!
    I have been puzzled by this phrase for several weeks, and your answer saved me! Thank you! Your explanation just fits the contexts I'm reading. I wonder if you can tell me the web site illustrating "vereiia osque" so that I can check something concerning it further.

Thanks again!

emousecat

CHINA-CHINESE
    walnut said:
    Hi Emousecat and welcome :)

I'm moving this thread to the Other Languages Forum.

Ciao! Walnut

Walnut, ok, you can move it. I'm sorry that I really don't know it is not Latin. Thank you!

< Previous | Next >