Urdu, Hindi: loch / laaz

< Previous | Next >

MonsieurGonzalito

Castellano de Argentina
Friends,

In the song "Mujhe ye phool na de", from the 1964 Indian movie "Ghazal", Mohammed Rafi is the playback singer for a poet making love protest to his beloved, using poety-trade vocabulary

Gazal kaa loch hai tuu
nazm kaa shabaab hai tuu

My question is: did Mr Rafi break my heart and repeatedly pronounce "laaz" as "laaj" without a nukta, rather than "loch"?
(i.e., "the modesty of a ghazal" instead of "the suppleness of a ghazal")

Is that even possible? (not the interpretation, but Mr. Rafi not singing a nukta)

[Sample Youtube video=ESX2mcBLCzE at 3:30]

Thanks in advance.

• Alfaaz

English
    MonsieurGonzalito said:
    My question is: did Mr Rafi break my heart and repeatedly pronounce "laaz" as "laaj" without a nukta, rather than "loch"?
    (i.e., "the modesty of a ghazal" instead of "the suppleness of a ghazal")

Is that even possible? (not the interpretation, but Mr. Rafi not singing a nukta)
    Urdu Lughat: لوچ

Unless it was the demand of the lyrics/context/film situation (portrayal of a Hindi speaker whose speech features such aspects/pronunciation mistakes from the perspective of Urdu), it would be highly unlikely that Rafi SaaHib would have mispronounced words. He was an Urdu (and Punjabi) speaker/reader, so the issue of "nuqtah" wouldn't have been applicable. Previously mentioned in: Hindi, Urdu: जिन्द / جند / jind
    Alfaaz said:
    MonsieurGonzalito said:
    might start omitting the nukta
    This (omission of nuqtah) generally shouldn't be a problem for anyone who is able to read Urdu script, since (as you already know) the sounds j and z are represented by different letters in Urdu.
    Note: The word is لاج - laaj.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >