Turkish: Tuti as a female name

< Previous | Next >
  • LeBro

Turkish
    Let alone its usage as a name, I have never heard of this word.

If it had been used sometime in the past, it might have been in divan literature which was also highly influenced by Persian culture and language, considering that the word is of Persian origin. Someone who has better knowledge might help more, though.

Torontal

Hungarian
    I've never heard it either as a living given name.

It is I think pronounced with long u and long i (Tootee), and according to the dictionary i could check
    طوطي tuti 1. parrot. 2. young and pretty woman. tuti-i gûya talking parrot. tuti-i mûcizegû parrot that announces miracles. tuti-i şekerhâ 1. sugar-chewing parrot. 2. sweet-spoken beautiful woman.

As LeBro also mentioned, I can also imagine it being used in the divan literature during the Ottoman times, or maybe could also be used as given name for cariyeler (concubines, female slaves), but it is only my guess. As it is a Persian origin word, it is possible it was/is also used there as a personal name.

Edit: indeed it was the case as I googled it, Suleyman sultan really had for example a concubine with this name in his harem, the famous poet Bâkî fell in love with this woman and then she was given to him as a gift.
    ŞAİR BAKİ' NİN CARİYE TUTİ' YE OLAN AŞKI - Naim ÖZGÜNER yazısı - Haber Name
    Şiir Diliyle: Şairlerin Kıskançlığı - Şakir Diclehan

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >