Trouble with επίκαιρος

grandcanyonaz

English - USA
I'm having problems with επίκαιρος. The dictionary says tropical σαν επίκαιρη περιοχή ? It also says timely σαν επίκαιρο λεωφορείο ? so I'm a bit confused on how this word is used. Ευχαριστώ πολύ

• sotos

Greek
    επίκαιρη περιοχή, επίκαιρο λεωφορείο, are very unfortunate examples. Try a better dictionary. Επί+καιρός means something that is "relevant to the time in question", usually referring to the present time. For example, everything related to the British football cup, is επίκαιρο the last few days. It will no be επίκαιρο after 3 months.

Perseas

Greek
    I agree. "επίκαιρη περιοχή, επίκαιρο λεωφορείο" don't make any sense. In my understanding "επίκαιρο" is "current" or "recent".
    For example:"A news article discusses current or recent news..." - "Το άρθρο αναφέρεται σε ένα επίκαιρο θέμα".

sotos

Greek
    But sometimes we say that something of the past is "epikairo". For example, "Makrygiannis (1821) is epikairos today". It means "relevant".

Αγγελος

Greek
    Let use add that επίκαιρα was the word for a 'newsreel' shown before the film in cinemas. (Television killed that practice.) French 'actualités'.
    H επικαιρότητα = current affairs. French "l'actualité".

The Greek for 'timely' is έγκαιρος, NOT επίκαιρος. The adverb εγκαίρως (=in time, not too late) is perhaps more common than the adjective. But neither έγκαιρο λεωφορείο nor έγκαιρη περιοχή sound like meaningful Greek to me. What dictionary is this?

< Previous | Next >