Too many postings get deleted here

< Previous | Next >
  • DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    I do actually understand your point of view here, having once had a carefully thought-out post of mine deleted through (as I subsequently found out later) no fault of mine.

I'm sure I can speak for the other forum moderators in saying that we don't like deleting posts, and contrary to what may be a commonly-held view amongst some members, we don't go round actively looking to see whose post(s) we can delete next. :eek:

We only delete posts as a last resort and are always willing to respond to reasonable requests for clarification or explanations as to why a post was deleted.

Although we obviously can't go into details of particular instances here in a public forum, can you perhaps give us any general indication of what you have in mind by "sensible" postings which are getting deleted?

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    I think he means some excellent postings but deleted by reason of 'off topic' .
    :)
    Possibly: this is one of the commonest reasons for deleting a post.

The goal, in most of the language forums, is to give good, clear answers to the specific question which was originally asked. While an odd digression might not do any real harm, we have seen threads completely wrecked when successive posts start going off at a tangent - and that isn't fair to the OP as well as rendering the thread next-to-useless for anyone who might want to consult it in the future.

Myridon

English - US
    An excellent post in the wrong place is not an excellent post.
    I have an excellent building that I'd like to build on top of wherever you live. You can't do anything about it because I am a thinking person and I have put a lot of thought into this very sensible building.

Schmizzkazz

German
    An excellent post in the wrong place is not an excellent post.
    What is on topic or off topic lies often in the eye of the beholder.
    One can be a bit liberal - and one can be very narrow-minded about it.

-------------

Btw: Nobody likes to write for the dustbin.
    Moderators should realize that.

forgoodorill

Chinese
    Thanks for your reply, DonnyB, Myridon and Schmizzkazz.
    I think we could change this question a little bit 'off-topic', because I think if I don't don't do this, maybe we just argue about this in our own view:
    I think all of you said are very reasonable, but our goal here, I think, is to define what's called 'off-topic' posts?

Sure, no one just came here to experience the sense of sad--because he or she got deleted.
    And it's also true that, if a gem in a very cheap box, will lower its price very much.(You know what I mean, sorry my poor vocabulary)

But as a foreign learner, this forum, is for learning. What are learning, definitely is to study something you don't know.
    As far as I'm concern, and according to my experience, it's necessary to give some background knowledge for the OP, so, is this kind of 'off-topic'? I think, sometimes, a good explanation way much better than a straight answer.
    If this kind of posts got deleted, I think everyone are sad, including the OP.

This example above just an example, I think people here have their own opinion. so what do you think about what kind of posts are off-topic? :)

Last edited:

Schmizzkazz

German
    If this kind of posts got deleted, I think everyone are sad, including the OP.
    So it is.

I find it OK, when postings get deleted that are offensive and aggressive and insulting.
    But not when postings get deleted that were written in good will.
    Just because somebody thinks that those postings were "un-necessary".

Barque

Banned
    Tamil
    What is on topic or off topic lies often in the eye of the beholder.
    That's the answer. It's subjective. Different people will have diferent opinions. So someone has to decide what's off-topic and what's not, and that task has been given to the moderators. If everyone's allowed to decide for themselves what's off-topic and what's not, it'll mess things up quite a bit.

Schmizzkazz

German
    I repeat: TOO MANY things are regarded as off topic!

Ich plädiere für etwas mehr Liberalität und etwas weniger Kleinkariertheit und Engstirnigkeit.

Unter der ständigen Androhung zu schreiben, dass der eigene Text von einem engstirnigen Mod gelöscht wird, macht wenig Freude.
    Das sollte ein Mod verstehen.

Schmizzkazz

German
    It seems the Mods are much too aloof to speak to ordinary members like you and me.
    They are much too busy deleting posts here and there!

:D

Schmizzkazz

German
    OK!

Then you may delete 99 % of all the postings!

What is this here?

A forum for normal people? Who like to TALK to each other in a normal way?

Or a prison?
    Or a barracks?
    Or what?

Barque

Banned
    Tamil
    Or a prison?
    Or a barracks?
    You're being allowed to participate in a forum set up and managed by others. You can't expect to have everything your own way.:)
    It seems the Mods are much too aloof to speak to ordinary members like you and me.
    I don't think the mods enter into public discussions about why they do something. If you really want to know why they delete your posts, why don't you just write to the ones you have a problem with and ask them why they deleted them, instead of complaining about it here? I'm sure they'll reply to any direct messages.

Assiduous student

Banned
    English - UK
    So one loses all motivation and any of the joy in writing.

We are thinking persons.

We think before we post.

There is too much frustration if sensible postings get deleted here.
    Yes, Schmizzkazz, the forum is absurdly overmoderated. It must give quite a thrill to the moderators. Can you imagine the glee, dropping posts down the memory hole? If you follow my policy, if any of your posts is deleted, delete every single one of your posts in that thread, regardless of how much helpful information is deleted.

When I see interesting threads in the English forum here, sometimes with poor or inaccurate replies, I don't bother replying myself now in case my reply is deleted. I think you could stick to subforums with less self-aggrandising moderators and ignore the rest?

Last edited:

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    I can really only re-iterate what I said at the beginning of the thread, which was that we don't (contrary to what some members seem to think) enjoy deleting posts, nor do we trawl through all the threads looking to see what we can delete next. :eek:

We're more than willing to respond to reasonable requests for explanations of individual deletion decisions, but neither I nor any of the other mods can do that in a public forum.

The bottom line, basically, is that our forums are not chat boards and the person who asked the question is entitled to expect courteous, helpful and relevant answers to it.

Peterdg

Dutch - Belgium
    Or a prison?
    I think you do not understand the concept "prison". In contrast with a prison, you are free to leave this forum if you don't like it.

But, on the other hand, if you want to stay, please have the courtesy to follow the rules of the house and don't try to impose your view. It is not your house.
    And also, as a matter of pure politeness, you just don't insult the people that host you.

Myridon

English - US
    Replying to the post that any thing posted "in good will" should not be deleted regardless of the content, if I want to post the full text of Moby Dick in good will, it would be outrageous for the moderators to delete it. How dare they suggest that I should abide by rules of any sort as long as I have good intentions. After this, I'm going to go kill some people that I think are bad because I have good intentions about improving the world. No one should be able to arrest me. They can't make rules that control my behaviour as long as I do it "in good will." ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

tunaafi

English - British (Southern England)
    When we join WRF to participate in the English Only forum, we know that it is not a democracy, we know that we are expected to follow he rules, and we know that we are free to leave at any time we wish.

It takes money and a great deal of time and work to keep a site like this up and running, and yet some members seem to feel it perfectly acceptable to drop in and tell the people running it how unreasonable they are. Moderators on a forum such as this are usually unpaid - they give up a lot of their own time to help keep the forum running as smoothly as it does. To suggest that they arbitrarily delete posts for the thrill of it seems to me to be an unpleasant and unjustified whine from a few people who are unlike the many hundreds of us who are extremely happy with the usually civilised atmosphere in the English Only forum and who are prepared to follow the rules to keep it that way.

Last edited:

Assiduous student

Banned
    English - UK
    I think you do not understand the concept "prison". In contrast with a prison, you are free to leave this forum if you don't like it.

But, on the other hand, if you want to stay, please have the courtesy to follow the rules of the house and don't try to impose your view. It is not your house.

And also, as a matter of pure politeness, you just don't insult the people that host you.
    In that case, you should have the right to delete your profile and all your posts. I don't expect Wordreference is hosted in the EU, but it is accessible in the EU, and the EU's right to be forgotten law apparently doesn't apply to forum posts, but does apply to forum profiles. In other words, in EU law, you would have the right to have your profile deleted. Apparently EU law does permit the posts to be retained but anonymised under a random username. Eg if Wordreference altered your profile to Zog123456 and all your posts appeared under that name, that would satisfy EU law. I don't expect Wordreference complies with EU law. But the company does behave badly in a moral sense in claiming ownership of your posts.

Assiduous student

Banned
    English - UK
    It takes money and a great deal of time and work to keep a site like this up and running, and yet some members seem to feel it perfectly acceptable to drop in and tell the people running it how unreasonable they are. Moderators on a forum such as this are usually unpaid - they give up a lot of their own time to help keep the forum running as smoothly as it does. To suggest that they arbitrarily delete posts for the thrill of it seems to me to be an unpleasant and unjustified whine from people who, unlike many hundreds of us of us, are extremely happy with the usually civilised atmosphere in the English Only forum and who are prepared to follow the rules to keep it that way.
    Unfortunately, the moderators do not own the website either, and some of them should be let go by the actual owners. I find your claim that moderators do not delete posts for the thrill of it to be wholly out of synch with reality. There is such a thing as a Little Hitler syndrome and some moderators (on all websites) suffer from it. I'm clicking Unwatch now - so knock yourselves out (although I find it doesn't always stop every notification coming).

Peterdg

Dutch - Belgium
    Unfortunately, the moderators do not own the website either
    But they do work for and under the authorization of the site's owner.
    There is such a thing as a Little Hitler syndrome and some moderators (on all websites) suffer from it.
    So, anyone who imposes the rules (to which you have subscribed by entering the forum) is showing some "Little Hitler syndrome"???? So, also a police officer who gives you a fine because you have parked your car where it is not allowed, but you think it is perfectly OK to park there, is also a Little Hitler. Or not???
    But the company does behave badly in a moral sense in claiming ownership of your posts.
    Again, you agreed to that. Moreover, that policy is completely justified. Removing all posts belonging to a user, will make all threads in which that user particpated, unintelligible.
    Eg if Wordreference altered your profile to Zog123456 and all your posts appeared under that name, that would satisfy EU law.
    First of all, your username does not disclose who you are, so there is no privacy problem whatsoever. If you want to leave the forum, you can delete all identifiable information from your profile (including your e-mail address). If you get banned from the forum because of bad behaviour, the moderator team will remove all identifiable information from your user profile.
    Changing your username will also not solve your issue. Your old username will remain visible in any post in which you were quoted.

Last edited:

aldonzalorenzo

Castellano
    I repeat: TOO MANY things are regarded as off topic!
    I agree with you.
    When I first started here, 10 years ago, you could tell a joke while answering a thread, both things being possible: it was fun and a learning experience at the same time.
    Afterwards they just started deleting EVERYTHING that doesn't answer the issue directly. I don't think it's a good rule because it doesn't allow to speak one bit, and language is about relationships. But that seems to be the rule.

wildan1

Moderando ma non troppo (French-English, CC Mod)
    English - USA
    How dare they suggest that I should abide by rules of any sort as long as I have good intentions.
    Realize that the Forum rules, which you and every other member agreed to follow when registering, are clear:
    2. If you wish to talk about an unrelated subject or make an unrelated comment to another member, use the forum’s private message ('Conversations') feature. No chatting.

16. Moderators are forum members who supervise individual forums. They may edit, delete, or modify any posts in their forums.
    It's pretty straightforward!
    aldonzalorenzo said:
    Afterwards they just started deleting EVERYTHING that doesn't answer the issue directly. I don't think it's a good rule because it doesn't allow to speak one bit, and language is about relationships.
    But ten years ago the Forum was just a few years old and still defining itself. After more than 15 years now, we are in a much more mature, clearly defined atmosphere that tens of thousands of people consult daily for help. They are not looking for your personal comments or jokes--many are working seriously on a translation project or language-learning assignment, and that's the main clientele of the Forums.

Plus, for Senior Members there are now other opportunities for the kind of broader exchanges you mentioned.

Last edited:

Peterdg

Dutch - Belgium
    Realize that the Forum rules, which you and every other member agreed to follow when registering, are clear:
    Wildan,

I'm sure this was an ironical rethoric question to highlight the absurdity of what some people in this thread are saying.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    I think the mods do a great job, and I'd welcome threads that are even more on topic than they are at the moment. Not because I don't enjoy a bit of banter and well-intentioned meandering down interesting byways, but because I'm a learner myself.

I'm not going to disclose which forums I visit as a learner, but I admit it sometimes fills me with despair when I see how some members seem to be more intent on displaying their impressive scholarship than helping a beginner-learner with basic explanations. It has certainly put me off asking questions myself. If a learner is not very expert in the language, it's very difficult to follow a loose, rambling thread. I sometimes come away feeling more confused than I was to begin with.

I think it's important to remember that members come here in good faith, looking for answers to their questions. Most of the time they get the information they need. I'm in favour of short, to-the-point answers, since if the OP needs more detail and depth they can go ahead and ask for it. After all, we do ask the OP to give specific examples of their problem, with context. This keeps the discussion focused, and I find that these are the threads that are the most helpful when I come across them in a dictionary search.

Each language forum plays a slightly different role, and this one seems to have achieved a good balance between impersonal, strictly language-focused posts and those with more personal, friendly interaction between members, between strict adherence to the topic and excusable brief digressions. It's a difficult balance.

TheCrociato91

Italian - Northern Italy
    I fully subscribe to velisarius' comment above. Which is part of the reason why some time ago I asked on this subforum whether we should consider setting a stricter limit to post length so as to discourage off-topic strays.

In my opinions mods do a great job. Some are stricter, some are more liberal. To me it's simply a matter of getting used to the type of moderation that is enforced in the forums you visit.

Myridon

English - US
    When I first started here, 10 years ago, you could tell a joke while answering a thread, both things being possible: it was fun and a learning experience at the same time.
    Afterwards they just started deleting EVERYTHING that doesn't answer the issue directly. I don't think it's a good rule because it doesn't allow to speak one bit, and language is about relationships. But that seems to be the rule.
    I don't think you've read English Only lately. If you can find a recent thread with more than 10 posts in it that doesn't contain a bit of banter or an off-topic comment or three, I'll be amazed.

Schmizzkazz

German
    I agree with you.

Good point!
    Yes, one can do the one thing (answering the question) and at the same time do the other thing: (telling a little joke).
    That's human!

TheCrociato91

Italian - Northern Italy
    Yes, one can do the one thing (answering the question) and at the same time do the other thing: (telling a little joke).
    This is the way I see it:
    Relevant :tick: (your post is never going to be deleted)
    Funny :cross: (it may or may not get deleted)
    Relevant and funny :tick: (in my experience, it won't get deleted; worst case scenario is that the funny part is removed)
    Not relevant but funny :cross: (it's likely to get deleted, but it may not depending on the mod)
    Not relevant and not funny :cross: (very likely to get deleted, but then again, it depends on the mod)

aldonzalorenzo

Castellano
    I don't think you've read English Only lately. If you can find a recent thread with more than 10 posts in it that doesn't contain a bit of banter or an off-topic comment or three, I'll be amazed.
    You are right. You can say that not only lately but almost never.
    I'm talking about "Spanish-English" and "Solo español" forums: those are the ones I usually visit. Nothing allowed: just go to the point and answer the guy who's asking.

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    Good point!
    That's human!
    Yes indeed: we mods do have a sense of humour and a light-hearted 'aside' in a post which otherwise answers the question is likely in most cases I would say to be left untouched.

The big problem with actually telling jokes is when someone doesn't 'get' the joke and asks in the thread for it to be explained - which can (and on occasion does) wreck the thread. The other problem is when other members start adding to the joke rather than to the question - which has the same effect of derailing the thread. So it can be just a judgement call on the part of the moderator as to how likely that is to happen, and the point at which to curtail it if it does.

Schmizzkazz

German
    May I repeat my statement:

I find it OK, when postings get deleted that are offensive and aggressive and insulting.
    But not when postings get deleted that were written in good will.
    Just because somebody thinks that those postings were "un-necessary".
    ----------------------

What does "un-necessary" mean?
    It is really an Insult.
    If we as writers are "un-necessary" - what about the forum?

MattiasNYC

Swedish
    We only delete posts as a last resort
    I think some have a problem with the above, because the steps prior to "last resort" aren't visible, at all. If you write something and it just gets deleted there's really nothing "last resort" about it. It would have been relatively easy to hide the content (or similarly preserving it) and contacting the poster asking them to modify the post to bring it in line with forum guidelines... and if that fails (and everything else) you are actually left with deletion as a last resort.

Just as an example: I've had a case where someone brought up a car analogy to make a point. I explained why I thought the car analogy didn't apply. My post got deleted because cars weren't applicable to the topic. The original analogy was left.

Now, you tell me how that makes sense.

Hint: It doesn't.

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    I think some have a problem with the above, because the steps prior to "last resort" aren't visible, at all. If you write something and it just gets deleted there's really nothing "last resort" about it. It would have been relatively easy to hide the content (or similarly preserving it) and contacting the poster asking them to modify the post to bring it in line with forum guidelines... and if that fails (and everything else) you are actually left with deletion as a last resort.
    By "last resort" I really mean that that's the only realistic option that a moderator has (after other alternatives have been considered, not necessarily that other solutions have been tried in that particular instance). I'm assuming here, by the way, that we're talking specifically about deletions for off-topic content: posts which are rude or insulting are normally just deleted come what may.

There is an option, obviously, to simply leave the post 'as is'. In cases where a post represents a minor digression which is unlikely to lead to anything which will sidetrack the thread and wreck it, it will often be left untouched. We do also have an option to simply edit a post to remove potentially destructive off-topic content while leaving the bulk of the post intact, or alternatively, if that would prove awkward to do, contacting the OP as you suggest and asking them to do it. The difficulties there are that the OP only has 24 hours in which they're able to edit a post themselves, and in the meantime the discussion may well have moved on. There's normally no objection to a member replacing a deleted off-topic post with one where the content is relevant.

It's difficult to me to comment on your specific example without seeing it, which we can't do here. My best guess is that the moderator concerned felt that a continuing discussion of whatever it was by analogy with cars was likely to generate further responses in the context of cars which would then detract significantly from the core topic question as originally asked.

All these things are for the most part the result of a judgement call on the part of the moderator. We do our best but we're human and we don't claim to always get it right. As I said right at the beginning of this thread, we'll willingly respond to any reasonable request for clarification of a post deletion. :)

Matonkikí

Español - España, Madrid
    😊I agree that too many posts get deleted and too many threads get closed, sometimes without giving any reasons.Sharp register is frequently used as well.Not nice.
    I do feel that personal issues might be interferring too often.
    I doubt we are likely to see any changes for the better because imagination can link any post to any of the rules,no matter how twistted the link needs to go.

Circunflejo

Castellano de Castilla
    I agree that too many posts get deleted and too many threads get closed, sometimes without giving any reasons.
    You joined the forum less than 5 days ago and there've been lately more posts and threads deleted than usual but, of course, I don't have any idea about what % of deleted posts and threads you expected to find.

Matonkikí

Español - España, Madrid
    You joined the forum less than 5 days ago and there've been lately more posts and threads deleted than usual but, of course, I don't have any idea about what % of deleted posts and threads you expected to find.
    I was not expecting a particular percentage of deletion but for someone who sees this with new eyes the frequence of deleted posts or threads in the past five days is noticeable, just like the fact that sharp answers and remarks tend to come from the same people.

TheCrociato91

Italian - Northern Italy
    I was not expecting a particular percentage of deletion but for someone who sees this with new eyes the frequence of deleted posts or threads in the past five days is noticeable, just like the fact that sharp answers and remarks tend to come from the same people.
    Threads and posts can only be deleted by moderators, who only do so when the post or thread goes against the rules of the forum. Pretty simple. It's not like mods randomly delete stuff.

Circunflejo

Castellano de Castilla
    for someone who sees this with new eyes the frequence of deleted posts or threads in the past five days is noticeable
    Yes, many internet forums are barely moderated and this one is way more moderated than them. However, I don't think it's relevant the % of posts and theads that are deleted. For me, the relevant piece of info is whether those posts and threads really broke any of the forum rules. Do you think that many of them didn't break any of the forum rules? or do you think that many of them broke one (or more) of the forum rules?
    the fact that sharp answers and remarks tend to come from the same people.
    If you think that any post doesn't meet the forum rules, you can always report it. On the other hand, if those sharp (whatever that means) answers and remarks don't break the rules, you'll have to deal with them.

MrMuselk

English - South East England
    😊I agree that too many posts get deleted and too many threads get closed, sometimes without giving any reasons.Sharp register is frequently used as well.Not nice.
    I do feel that personal issues might be interferring too often.
    I doubt we are likely to see any changes for the better because imagination can link any post to any of the rules,no matter how twistted the link needs to go.
    Also, depending on the severity and the moderator, they sometimes don’t get deleted, but they get blocked from future replies.

rarabara

Turkish
    I recommend to administration/moderation to work in team manner especially when the reason is not clear.
    this might be more suitable:
    when; first moderator 1 checks the thread/post then,
    (if) he/she believes that it should be deleted,then requesting another moderator (moderator 2) might be more suitable for check. I do not / am unable to define the count of moderators (how many, to check it)
    but please be informed in case we open/send many threads or posts, then most of them get deleted (by one moderator),then we (automatically) suppose like this (at least I suppose so):
    "we are in the target region of one or more moderator(s), to be shot whenever it is suitable!" even if this is not a case or unreal :)
    so, I recommend working with "team manner"
    you can also use this automatical message attached to the reason for deletion: "this post was deleted by moderation team" in such (unclear) cases.

Last edited:

Andygc

British English
    These forums have been running perfectly well for years. The moderators' touch has varied a bit over those years and there is some variation between the different forums. I was a moderator here some time ago. We deleted some posts straight off, we closed some permanently, we closed some temporarily for discussion. Most of the time there was no need for discussion. Other times there was a lot of discussion.

If you have had a post deleted or a thread closed and have not been told why, you can send a message to the mod who deleted it, or to another mod for that forum, and ask for the reason.

The moderators are appointed by the owner of the site. If he's unhappy he'll let the mods know. He doesn't appear to be unhappy. The system works. Nobody pays to use the forums. If anybody doesn't like the way it is run they can go somewhere else.

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    I recommend to administration/moderation to work in team manner especially when the reason is not clear.
    so, I recommend working with "team manner"
    you can also use this automatical message attached to the reason for deletion: "this post was deleted by moderation team" in such (unclear) cases.
    Thank you for your suggestion.

Because of the sheer volume of reports we receive, and the fact that the decision is clear-cut more often than not, the majority of post deletions are made straightaway by whichever moderator looks at them first. We always record what action we've taken, and why, and while we can always seek a second opinion, as a general principle only the potentially controversial or contentious ones are left for further discussion. To leave every single deletion (or other decision) for another moderator to check first - given time zone differences - would simply clog up the report files and delay action for no good reason.

The point of attributing a deletion (or other action) to an individual named moderator is to give you, the member, a contact point in case you have any queries: all decisions can then be re-examined and, if necessary, reversed. We do aim for a measure of consistency as far as we're able, and are happy to respond to any reasonable requests for clarification of a particular decision, to help you understand why it was made.

Circunflejo

Castellano de Castilla
    He doesn't appear to be unhappy.
    I read an interview in which he didn't seem to be happy with the overall number of users of the forum. He blamed Google for it though.
    The moderators' touch has varied a bit over those years
    It has varied more than a bit. Maybe not the mods' touch itself (I'm not old enough here to know it) but the rules. Some time ago someone resurrected an old thread created more than a decade ago and a moderator closed it at the moment because even though it met the rules that ruled the forum when the thread was started, it was light years away from the current regulations. The obvious question is why such a big change of rules happened if
    These forums have been running perfectly well for years.
    Nobody pays to use the forums.
    And nobody is paid either but there's a guy that makes money out of them (the owner) so comments like
    If anybody doesn't like the way it is run they can go somewhere else.
    can be as true and honest as you could get but let's say that they don't sound nice enough and they aren't really encouraging.
    The point of attributing a deletion (or other action) to an individual named moderator is to give you, the member, a contact point in case you have any queries
    It would be a good idea to attribute editions to an individual named moderator too.

Sowka

Forera und Moderatorin
    German, Northern Germany
    It would be a good idea to attribute editions to an individual named moderator too.
    It was with the old software, several years ago.

I normally use the message field to explain to the poster why I edited their post. In this way, they know the reason, and the one who did it. As far as I know, this will appear as an alert on their screen.

swift

Spanish – Costa Rica (Valle Central)
    It was with the old software, several years ago.
    Yes, that’s something I miss from vB. “Reason for editing” enables transparency and permanent visibility into what actions were taken and their rationale. I wonder if it’s something that could be implemented programmatically, just like the reason for deletion.

P.S. For those who have been around for a shorter period of time and would like to understand the evolution of WRF Rules, you’ll be amazed to realize that we used to have 56 rules back in the day! See: Revised list of rules. What’s more, many of the current rules changed overtime thanks to feedback from forum members (e.g. rule 4). :)

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >